Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Blog Index?  (Read 2564 times)

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
Blog Index?
« on: December 15, 2016, 05:17:05 AM »
@Troy Can we come up with an index or listing of Blog posts to make it easier to find them? So much cool stuff that's fun to read. I hate having to scroll back in time page by page. Maybe there's an easier way. Thanks.

Marty
Retired

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Blog Index?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 07:59:35 AM »
yeah we can totally do that.
are there any particular categories or topics of posts you're most interested in?

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 08:07:40 AM »
Maybe start with the new member FAQs. Like how do I replace sweeps?  Where do I get handles? Will H style work on older kettles?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 09:10:05 AM »
I was thinking a hot-linked list by headline would be easy. Might have to get better at describing the post in some way in the headline, but I think most are pretty self-explanatory.
Retired

Grizzle_Vizzle

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 11:36:19 AM »
I think the bulk of this blog (especially what most people return for) is in recipes and techniques...it would be helpful if recipes were separated into various categories.  Appetizers, sides, non-traditional entrees, pizza (already exists), chicken, pork, beef, other meats, desserts, etc.

Would be especially helpful for me right now, as I'm trying to see how people have roasted whole chickens but have to wade through 10+ pages of a bunch of other stuff.

Thanks,
Kyle
Love my Copper-Topped Performer Premium

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 01:01:44 PM »
I think the bulk of this blog (especially what most people return for) is in recipes and techniques...it would be helpful if recipes were separated into various categories.  Appetizers, sides, non-traditional entrees, pizza (already exists), chicken, pork, beef, other meats, desserts, etc.

Would be especially helpful for me right now, as I'm trying to see how people have roasted whole chickens but have to wade through 10+ pages of a bunch of other stuff.

Thanks,
Kyle

Don't be afraid to ask "how do I" types of question in a new post.  Even if it seems silly to post "how do I cook a whole chicken" people here remember what they've posted or good posts from others and will respond to you with links to other threads.  If you are looking for whole chickens, search for "beer can chicken" and "spatchcocked chicken".  Those are two techniques for doing whole chickens and searching those will not get you posts on a wing, breast or thigh cook since those methods are specific to whole birds!

As a separate note not related to you Kyle, it always annoys me when people post cook pics in the Grilling & BBQ section instead of the Cooks, Pics and Recipes section.  It's a pain to have to scroll through two separate sections if you are looking for a post you saw in the past.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 11:05:23 PM »
I can see that not working well. If like the vast majority of people, I'm gonna type in "cooking whole chicken".  I am not going to type in Beer can chicken, spatchcock chicken, roasted whole chicken... blah blah...

Grizzle_Vizzle

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 10:56:59 AM »
Hi Mike - thanks for your reply. I didn't think to spatchcock my chicken, but will most likely do it next time.  I typically do that when pan-frying a chicken to increase the contact area, but it makes sense it would help for roasting too.

However, I was only using the whole chicken item as an example...regarding the forum division - while I understand your point, I don't think having the ability to search negates the benefits of having things in compartments.

I guess I'm thinking about it in from a car forum mindset.  I used to have a Legacy GT, and used this forum quite a bit: http://legacygt.com/forums/
Though not perfect, it's organized really well to find whatever you're looking for.

If we adopted that method, it might look something like...

Member Info
>New Member Intros
>Regional

News & Rumors
>Related to Weber
>Related to Competition

Off Topic
>Major Topic Type A (Sports, for example)
>Topic Topic Type B

Photos
>Weber Grill Photos (Show off your grill)
>Grill Area Photos (Decks, Porches, Yards, Tents, etc.)
>Competition Photos
>Food Photos

Marketplace
>Member Classifieds
...Grills
...Tools & Accessories
...Other
>Vendor Sales (One-off and Group buys...Think PizzaOven, etc.)
...Grills
...Tools & Accessories
...Other

Techniques
>Low & Slow
>Reverse Sear
>Sous Vide
>Cooking in cold weather
>Using Gourmet Cooking System Accessories
>etc.

Recipes
>Appetizers
...Dips
...etc.
>Pizza
>Pork
...Ribs
...Shoulder/Butt
...Chops
>Chicken
...etc.
>Beef
...etc.
>Fish
...Salmon
...etc.

Mechanical Corner
>Modifications
>Troubleshooting Problems
...Low Air Flow
...Flare Ups
...Etc.
>Repairing Your Weber
...Paint
...Hardware
...etc.

Not a huge deal if it's not done, but I figured I'd toss in my two cents since the question had been raised.  And I think it would be sweet if there was a folder full of nothing but pork ribs. Yum.
Love my Copper-Topped Performer Premium

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 02:17:00 PM »
@Grizzle_Vizzle;  thanks for your input on this subject and welcome to the WKC from Eugene, OR.   

I'm certain that most of us (as well as most outdoor chef's) have list's and list's of BBQ methods, recipes (on various types of food groups), and equipment updates/repairs captured for their usage and their off-springs future usage.   Sr. Meathead and many others recommend that each chef formally log the steps and results of each cook that you undertake.   Oh my yes does that get tedious, but when you want to make a successful meal on a wintery day around 28 F with a mild breeze at 325 F for 3-4 hrs, you look in your logs for previous cooks to find kettle used, charcoal placement and quantity, etc., etc., etc.

I've observed that, on this forum, many kettleheads just ask for input from members on a particular cook type.   It's a little less instantaneous, but it's part of the glue that binds us together, so to speak.  :)

SJ

PS.   I forgot to mention that there is something to be said for the "thrill of discovery" if you go into a cook w/o too much prior info :)
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".