Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 26er new grate too big?  (Read 1796 times)

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
26er new grate too big?
« on: December 22, 2016, 01:20:36 PM »
So I ordered a 26er charcoal grate from ereplacement parts and it seems either Weber did a redesign or I ordered the wrong one. Take a look and let me know what you guys think. It doesn't sit all the way down like the old one did, the second pics is the old one laid on the new one.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Rollin coal

26" 2010 AD Code (Black), 22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” 2018 CB (Crimson),22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
26er new grate too big?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 01:27:41 PM »
Hey Vw, a wsm 22" grate works for the old 26r. Your diameter should be about 19". The wsm's claim to be 19", but are actually 18". They will sit fine on the brackets. If I remember you'd be lookin at $30.
I know the newer style 26r's are different dimensions. Obviously you do too. No pun intended
Edit-went and grabbed a pic for you. This is a 22" wsm charcoal grate. See how it sits on the tabs. It's actually 18", not 19" as they say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 01:42:24 PM by Travis »

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
Re: 26er new grate too big?
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 01:41:59 PM »
Yea they don't work

Sent from my XT1650 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 03:04:56 PM »
So are the bowls different from new or are the state tabs higher in the new ones?  What's different?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
26er new grate too big?
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 03:06:31 PM »
Or maybe the whole grate tab straps are in a higher position in the new?  I notice it looks like the food grate sits pretty deep on yours

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 10:45:05 PM »
So are the bowls different from new or are the state tabs higher in the new ones?  What's different?

@Vwbuggin64 @HoosierKettle

The bowls are the same size, but YES the grate straps are lower in the bowl in the old 26'rs, so the grates - Cook AND charcoal grates are smaller than the 26.75's.

Here are the two charcoal grates, the one on the bottom is the new size and the old style on top of it.

NEW Style

OLD style

Cook grate straps on the 26.75" are @2" from the lip of the bowl.

Whereas the oldies Cook grate straps are @ 4" from the lip of the bowl. The straps are the same size on both models with the same distance from the bottom grate to the top.

While it doesn't appear to be much difference in cook grate size, they are not interchangeable.

Here is a riser that I made for my old Grey that will work  on the New and Old cook grates

Hope this helps.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 02:22:03 AM »

@Vwbuggin64 @HoosierKettle

The bowls are the same size, but YES the grate straps are lower in the bowl in the old 26'rs, so the grates - Cook AND charcoal grates are smaller than the 26.75's.

Here are the two charcoal grates, the one on the bottom is the new size and the old style on top of it.

NEW Style

OLD style

Cook grate straps on the 26.75" are @2" from the lip of the bowl.

Whereas the oldies Cook grate straps are @ 4" from the lip of the bowl. The straps are the same size on both models with the same distance from the bottom grate to the top.

While it doesn't appear to be much difference in cook grate size, they are not interchangeable.

Here is a riser that I made for my old Grey that will work  on the New and Old cook grates

Hope this helps.

Thanks alot for the info. I am probably going to order weber 63014 charcoal grate for the WSM 22.5 like Travis said. I have to call weber anyway this morning so Ill see if they have it.
Rollin coal

26" 2010 AD Code (Black), 22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” 2018 CB (Crimson),22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ