Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Tough ribs. I'm doing something wrong?  (Read 5061 times)

bear

• WKC Ranger
Re: Tough ribs. I'm doing something wrong?
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2016, 12:37:22 AM »
Good on you for asking about this @walshman

Many of us started out like you, and even experienced chefs still learn from grillfellas here regularly.

Hang around here for a while and you'll be an expert. Good news is, if you're not happy with the results you get to keep practicing.

walshman

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2016, 11:02:34 AM »
Thanks for all the replies everyone. Much appreciated :)

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2016, 01:30:32 AM »
Ribs are a 5 plus hour cook at 250. I like to dry rub sand let sit an hour, then put on the grill 2 hours. Then wrap those puppies for 3 more. Unwrap and finish for 30 minutes. Let rest 15.  Did you remove the membrane?.
There are lots of different variations on this that all boil down to personal equipment and environment. But remember, we all ruined a few racks at first.
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

Speedster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2016, 04:52:12 PM »
I used the 3-2-1. Works great. Pull membrane apply rub. 3hrs smoke at 225, then 2hrs wrapped in butter,honey and brwn sugar, then glaze BBQ sauce for 1hr. Music to my ears total 6hrs

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Webers rule

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2016, 06:07:13 PM »
Actually, you don't even have to pull the membrane... It can help hold the moisture in the meat. What you can do, is score the membrane and you'll find that you don't really taste or feel it. I've done it both ways. Thing is... what is important is how the ribs taste & feel when they are done. I've done them low and slow with membrane off. I've done them low & slow with membrane on, the a hot sear which burns the membrane off. I've done them hot and fast, I've done them wrapped, I've done them bare. All said... no matter how you cook them... they need to get to the right temperature so that all the fat & collagen does it's wonderful thing of breaking down and becoming wonderfully tender.

Swordfish

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2016, 06:10:53 PM »
When I know I cannot afford to slow cook the pork ribs for as long as I normally would I will marinate them over night in frozen lemonade mix.  The stuff that comes in the little can in the frozen section of the supermarket.  It's concentrate so the citric acid is extra strong which enables it to break down the tough stuff faster but the flavor never penetrates the meat - maybe because it's frozen causing the meat to contract.  Anyways, been using this method for decades.

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2016, 02:58:02 AM »
@Swordfish
Welcome. Odd place to jump in for a first post and say frozen lemonade, but you best damn believe I'm gonna try this on my next cook. Lol!
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

walshman

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2016, 04:04:16 AM »
@Swordfish
Welcome. Odd place to jump in for a first post
He must know what he's on about cause I wouldn't have the balls to quote what he said to seasoned bbqers with a first post. Anyway back on track. I'm gonna try the 3-2-1 method but not tonight cause the chicken breasts are going on :) Happy Christmas and new year everyone........................dennis

Swordfish

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2016, 06:32:30 AM »
Thanks for the kind words.  I just jumped in here because it seemed as good as anywhere lol.  I know it's unconventional but the frozen lemonade trick has been in my toolbox for a very long time.  I only use it when I know I won't be able to let the pork ribs slow cook for as long as usual and I want them to soften up. I always keep a couple cans in the freezer...Merry Christmas everyone.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2016, 05:30:43 PM »
I'm thinking that all that acid would cause the meat to get mushy, but hell, I'm willing to try something new.

So, how about a few more details. Marinade over night in the frozen lemonade. OK... how to cook past that point?

Swordfish

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2016, 07:17:36 AM »
I just marinade overnight in a shallow pan with the lemonade mix over them.  Nothing else.  Next day take them out of mixture and wipe off and pat dry.  Let them stand for about 30 - 60 minutes until air dry.  They also tend to stay pretty cool because of the frozen mixture so this allows them to get to a temperature more suitable for the grill.  At this point I just cook them as I would ordinarily.  I use a Weber 22" kettle grill and usually use a dry rub I get from either the Internet or my sister from North Carolina (they know pork down there).  I'll indirect cook them as normal but I can use a higher heat than usual (275) since they've tenderized & broken down overnight with the marinade. 
Any variation during the cook will work.  The point is the meat is tenderized and ready to accept a bit more heat without toughening up.  It's not preferred but works when time is shorter than usual. 
Try it.  You might like it.
Ever try pulled pork with pineapple?  I'll save that one for another post lol.