Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ash Shaker/ brainstorming out loud  (Read 4052 times)

EricD

• WKC Brave
Ash Shaker/ brainstorming out loud
« on: December 01, 2016, 11:28:21 AM »
So I've got a few long cooks on my WSM.  I've noticed that on these long cooks, the ash build-up can be pretty suffocating to the fire.   I was wondering if there is a shaker or some kind of mod to make that would shake some ash of the charcoal grate and keep the fire breathing.
I thought I read somewhere on this site that a shaker is a feature on someone's trailer rig, which is what got me thinking about it for the WSM.
Any one here have anything like this, seen it in action, think it's a good idea, etc....  Thoughts please.

The only plan I've come up with so far is going to the Adult toy store and using the vibrating motor.   Somehow attach it to the charcoal grate and 'buzz' some ash off.
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732
ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mat, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Ash Shaker/ brainstorming out loud
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 02:04:25 PM »
I don't know, something from the adult store might work and be more versatile than a rake [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 04:43:48 PM »
Like an Ash Vibrator?  Do you do minion method with KBB? If so, try minion method with the fire starting on the bottom.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 05:19:11 PM »
Try a lower ash producing charcoal.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 06:56:55 PM »
If you use lump charcoal, you have less ash.

You can also do something like this:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=21432.0
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 06:58:51 PM by LaTuFu »
Q2000; 26er; P Code MT; 22 WSM

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 08:17:21 PM »
If you use lump charcoal, you have less ash.

You can also do something like this:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=21432.0

Using lump produces less ash, because there is less mass. Hence you would need to refuel on longer cooks. Producing just as much ash. It's simple physics.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 08:26:59 PM by TheDude »
Still need a 22” yellow

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 08:26:08 PM »
I know who started the double crossed fire grate thing and its not anyone who posts on tvw...

I use lump, and two fire grates, and rarely get my ash clogged. but if I do I just kick one of the legs one way then kick another one the other way and come back in a half hour.

No dildoes or shop-vac required, but if thats the way you swing...get a video!
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 02:00:42 AM »
I just kick each leg a few times and it's all good. Stubbs works out great for long cooks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 04:22:54 AM »
I have only used Stubbs in the WSM.   No real heavy ash accumulation like wth KBB. 
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2016, 06:03:10 AM »
Thanks guys!
The rake wouldn't work for what I was thinking.  I want something so I don't have to open the door and let heat out, to shake the ash down into the bottom (off the grate)
I don't like using lump in the WSM.  It burns out to fast for long cooks, and I really hate adding fuel during a cook.  I've been using RO briqs.  Less ash than KBB but no matter what you use, on 6+ hrs cooks, theres gonna be a lot of ash no matter what.
@pbe gummi bear, I do use Minion, but I usually dump a bunch of coals in, dig out a hole, and dump lit briqs in the hole.   What do you mean start fire on bottom?
@Hell Fire Grill, not Dildo, just the motor!  gives a new meaning to heating my meat though!  lol
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732
ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mat, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2016, 06:41:04 AM »
TI want something so I don't have to open the door and let heat out, to shake the ash down into the bottom (off the grate)

I rarely use the door - preferring to lift the center section with lid as a unit using small SS knobs I installed. I close the lid vent first - thinking that I'll trap most of the heat in the unit for the minute or two that it's sitting on the ground while I'm tending the fire. Works pretty well for me.  YMMV
Retired

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2016, 07:45:58 AM »
There are other things that vibrate that most of us already have such as a palm sander. Just leave the sand paper off.  I'd go that route versus walking into an adult store and purchasing a huge purple dildo.

Dsorgnzd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2016, 09:09:28 AM »
Tie a piece of stranded stainless steel wire to the charcoal grate and run it out through one of the bottom vents. Attach a metal ring or knob to the end of the wire to give yourself something to grab onto. When you want to shake down the ashes a couple of good tugs on the wire should do the trick.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2016, 09:18:13 AM »
Tie a piece of stranded stainless steel wire to the charcoal grate and run it out through one of the bottom vents. Attach a metal ring or knob to the end of the wire to give yourself something to grab onto. When you want to shake down the ashes a couple of good tugs on the wire should do the trick.

This guy is using his nogin.
Still need a 22” yellow