Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Heat control  (Read 2874 times)

jtimm

• Happy Cooker
Heat control
« on: November 24, 2016, 05:32:23 AM »
Been using a Weber kettle grill for years. But a little confused on the best way to control the heat.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Re: Heat control
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 06:44:42 AM »
Close the vents down and you have less air flow = less heat
Open the vents and you have more air flow = more heat
Start with more lit charcoal = higher initial heat

Good luck.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 06:47:45 AM »
Can you give a little more info about what you're having problems with?

The simple answer is amount of charcoal and vent adjustments.
About a half Weber chimney full of coals will give you about 350 degrees at the grates. Don't shut down the top vent completely when trying to lower temperature. I would go bottom vent before top vent, but more likely you will need a combination.

For maximum heat when I'm doing steaks,  I'll offset the lid a few inches for additional airflow. It really gets the kettle cranking. This also works well in more typical situations where you need more heat. Just adjust the offset as necessary.

Unless I'm doing low and slow, I seldom adjust the vents. I kind of just know how much charcoal with the vents wide open is going to give me approximately the temperature I'm looking for. 

A cheap oven thermometer placed on the cooking grate work well to know what the actual temperature is where your food is cooking. The lid thermometer gives you the dome temperature, so there will be a variance at the grate. In the case of my Performer, it ends up being about 50 degrees.

jtimm

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 07:22:02 AM »
I have to Weber grills. One is a performer and the other just a standard kettle. I have to adjust the vents completely different on both grills to achieve the low temp that I want. The performer I have the bottom vents wide open and adjust with the top vents. The other one top vents closed and adjust with the the bottom vents. Just didn't make any sense to me.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Heat control
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 07:24:41 AM »
By chance are your sweeps jacked up on either of them?
They should both work the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 07:27:34 AM »
Take us step by step how you setup for a cook and we might have a better idea about what's going on. How much charcoal. How long you let it burn in the chimney. Are you doing a minion or just a full lit chimney?  Knowing your setup and process can help a bit here.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 07:39:05 AM »
A rock solid method for low and slow is the snake method, and you can set it up and start cooking right now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ehH4php-3A