Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Do you get anxious when planning an important cook?  (Read 3141 times)

jdefran

• WKC Brave
Do you get anxious when planning an important cook?
« on: November 17, 2016, 07:58:46 AM »
When I have a cook planned at least a week in advance I get anxious and spend the time leading up to that cook researching as if it's my first time.

Case and point: I'm throwing a bbq for my birthday and will be doing brisket and pork burnt ends. I've done both at least 5 times but find myself debating between technique to use, time to start, temp, when to start fire, etc..

Do you have these feelings fellas?

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: Do you get anxious when planning an important cook?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 08:05:31 AM »
Try whiskey and beer …. It will calm you down.   8) ;)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 08:22:56 AM »
Well, you know you can keep both of those warm in a wrapped towel and cooler for a few hours so give yourself that extra time. As for technique, basic seasonings. It's not a competition. It's family and friends and more likely than not, most of them aren't big bbqr's like yourself so simple basics will please most.
Keep an eye out on the weather. It's dipping for most of the country so plan a little more fuel usage. How are you monitoring your temps?
We have cookouts a few times a year. I get jitters too but more than that, I LOVE having the quiet night to myself, a cup of coffee and the smell of the cookers. It'll be just fine. You know what you're doing. Enjoy the time and Happy birthday, bud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 09:11:38 AM »

What he said.  Relax and have fun.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 09:19:22 AM »

Case and point: I'm throwing a bbq for my birthday and will be doing brisket and pork burnt ends.

What time do you want us to show up?   :)

I am like you - spend a lot of time planning, prepping, etc.  It is somewhat stressful, but the payoff for me is that I know everything will go right for the function, and by planning and prepping well, I have more quality time to spend with my guests.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

bcjustin

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 09:24:06 AM »
Part of my love of grilling though is watching YouTube videos, trying new spices, seeing what works and what doesn't. I get nervous for big cooks but it's in a good way.

I was nervous about cooking for my father in law for the first time, but before that happened I was over at my in laws and chatting with him. He was cooking steaks on the grill, and as we were talking he pulls out a knife and starts to cut the steak in half to see if it was done. I looked at him and was like "uhhh please don't do that, I got this." I took over and then I wasn't nervous anymore haha!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
22" One Touch Redhead

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 10:07:38 AM »
I will definitely enjoy some beer once the party begins.

Well, you know you can keep both of those warm in a wrapped towel and cooler for a few hours so give yourself that extra time. As for technique, basic seasonings. It's not a competition. It's family and friends and more likely than not, most of them aren't big bbqr's like yourself so simple basics will please most.
Keep an eye out on the weather. It's dipping for most of the country so plan a little more fuel usage. How are you monitoring your temps?
We have cookouts a few times a year. I get jitters too but more than that, I LOVE having the quiet night to myself, a cup of coffee and the smell of the cookers. It'll be just fine. You know what you're doing. Enjoy the time and Happy birthday, bud.
Thanks Travis! You have a good perspective and everyone will enjoy the food. I use the trusty ol' maverick for pit temp. I will enjoy some coffee on the porch in early hours when I fire the pit  up  ;D

What time do you want us to show up?   :)

I am like you - spend a lot of time planning, prepping, etc.  It is somewhat stressful, but the payoff for me is that I know everything will go right for the function, and by planning and prepping well, I have more quality time to spend with my guests.

Winz
True, I guess the preparation kinda builds up excitement. Plus I am just craving some brisket!

Part of my love of grilling though is watching YouTube videos, trying new spices, seeing what works and what doesn't. I get nervous for big cooks but it's in a good way.

I was nervous about cooking for my father in law for the first time, but before that happened I was over at my in laws and chatting with him. He was cooking steaks on the grill, and as we were talking he pulls out a knife and starts to cut the steak in half to see if it was done. I looked at him and was like "uhhh please don't do that, I got this." I took over and then I wasn't nervous anymore haha!

There is a lot to enough along the way. I am trying a new rub, meat church holy cow. My last two briskets were hot and fast to I'll stick to that since it familiar and predictable.

Like you, I feel need to be the guy that's cooking/grilling to ensure it turns out correctly.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 04:05:51 PM »
Totally happens to me too, most of the time everything works out fine...

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 05:41:54 PM »
Competition jitters
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

SteveMBH

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 06:26:40 PM »
I get the same feelings.  Nothing wrong with being well prepared.

Happy birthday btw.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2016, 08:30:22 PM »
@jdefran , YUP, and I got help here!  Your going to have a great time and it will turn out awesome. Happy Birthday!!!!

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/both-an-exciting-opportunity-and-a-scary-as-fk-thing-to-do!/
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2016, 09:02:49 PM »
Relax! It will go well. What the big problem is... we are our worst enemies. We always want the cook to be great.  Fortunately our guests don't really care. As long as the food tastes good, and they have a fun time... it really is all that matters.

Just relax and have a great birthday.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2016, 06:18:36 PM »
Annnd, EXACTLY what darko said!!!
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

jaynik

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2016, 03:24:19 PM »
Yes.  It will be better than your guests expected, and maybe as good as you had hoped.  I agree that beer will fix it regardless, but the anxiety shows that you care.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2016, 05:24:06 PM »
no
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X