Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Overnight Cook  (Read 3559 times)

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
Overnight Cook
« on: November 10, 2016, 05:43:33 AM »
Hey Fellas!

Doing an overnight on an 8 pound butt for a friends kids birthday party.

My questions.

1.  WSM 18 or kettle?  I was going go kettle.  The Temps here will be in the upper 30's and low 40's overnight on Friday night.

2.  If I do go the Kettle route, would a larger snake be the key?  My kettle keeps temps right at 250 for about 10 hours in normal cooks when its warm.  I typically use a 2x2 snake, set up from the 8 o'clock to 4 o'clock position. with apple chunks(KBB)

3.  If I go WSM 18 would more fuel be the real only option?  I use a full chimney with the Minion.  (Stubbs)  It can hold 230 for almost 12 hours with this load of Charcoal.

4. Timing...  This needs to be in my friends hands by 9:30 a.m Saturday morning for a lunch time "Feast". What time would be optimum to start this cook?

I typically run the cooks on my butts to an IT of 180 or so, then wrap and cooler it until we hit 205F or so.  They will be pulling it around noon or so.  My "Donation" is to cook the butt for them.  This would be my first sub 60F cook.  NOT my first butt, but the first with a cooler ambient outside temp.

Thanks for any input you fellas have.  I do appreciate the feed back! 

Regards,

Jeff
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Overnight Cook
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 05:50:47 AM »
I just did a 2x2x1 snake in the 26 from 8-4 position and lasted 6-7 hours at 245ish temps. About the same size butt. Outside temp was mid to low 50's. I'm still a snake rookie but thought I'd throw that out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 05:51:52 AM »
I added on to the snake to finish cook

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 08:26:19 AM »
I'd go with the WSM...That way you know you won't be adding any fuel for the whole cook. IMO its better to start a bit earlier than normal, maybe 7-8 PM the night before. The butt will hold in the cooler, so no worries if it comes off earlier than expected. I typically use my 14.5 WSM for my butts in the cooler temps simply because I can keep the temp more consistent.
drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 08:26:32 AM »
Just a couple of tips that might help.

- I typically wrap at around 160 to 165.  It'll help you get through the stall a little quicker.  Everybody does it different so take it for what it's worth.

- You may already be aware of this, but if you wrap your butt  :P (sorry couldn't help myself) in foil, then in a couple of towels, then place in a small cooler, it can stay hot for a good 4 hours.  So if you're concerned about getting it done on time, shoot for getting it done early and then use this to keep it warm until you need to pull it.

Hope this helps.

Mitch

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 09:41:15 AM »
Well after much consideration and comments so far, I will be cooking on the WSM 18.  I know she will hold temps for the entire cook.  I will have "Maverick" Keeping an eye on things... 

Going to use a bit more fuel for this one since the ambient outside temps will be low.  I think I will have to check it a few times during the cook just keep things moving.  Maverick does a fine job keeping me informed.

Thanks @Scott Zee @HoosierKettle @MacEggs  for your input.  This is what makes this place so much fun to hang out in.  Share and share alike! 

Follow up with Pics when the "Hog" is done.

Jeff

Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Overnight Cook
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 04:05:04 PM »
Crap! I don't know how I missed your post!
I guess you're getting your wsm loaded up up now or at least shortly. 
Get some great pics for us @jeffrackmo!
What wood are you throwing on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 05:38:24 PM »
Yeah I'd like to see some pics of the setup and the cook before the finished product.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 08:19:18 PM »
Yeah I'd like to see some pics of the setup and the cook before the finished product.

Got home late from dinner. I Didnt get a pic of the set up.  I will describe it. 1 14 lb of stubbs.  Minion method  and apple chucks inline with the bowl vents and one on top the lit coals.  18 briqs started and we are cooking.

Butt rubbed and ready

Grill temp

Time: 20:30
Outside air temp with a 10 mph breeze 46f

We are on

2 hours in and we are holding

Giving it 30 more minutes just to be sure.  Setting up the alerts on thw maverick and hitting the sack.  More pics in the am....

Going to be a chilly one tonight...

J

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 08:22:51 PM »
Very cool. Good luck on the cool.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2016, 03:31:50 AM »

Got home late from dinner. I Didnt get a pic of the set up.  I will describe it. 1 14 lb of stubbs.  Minion method  and apple chucks inline with the bowl vents and one on top the lit coals.  18 briqs started and we are cooking.

Butt rubbed and ready

Grill temp

Time: 20:30
Outside air temp with a 10 mph breeze 46f

We are on

2 hours in and we are holding

Giving it 30 more minutes just to be sure.  Setting up the alerts on thw maverick and hitting the sack.  More pics in the am....

Going to be a chilly one tonight...

J
Ok here it is..  Mr butt temped out at  185-ish just where I like em...  foiled, toweled and in the cooler.  Hit the grate at 820 pm last night and just finished. 610am.  8 pounder in about 10 hours.  I deliver this to them at 930.  Buddy Mike will do the pulling before noon.  Sure wish I could be there for the de-boning.

I did my spritz of juices two different times.  With the lid off, Temps bounced around and settled 240 -250 is each time.  Love that WSM.  i never had to add fuel.  Shoot i never opened the door now that I think of it.

Anyhoo...  it looks grate and smells amazing!!!!  Hoping it tastes as great as it smells and looks.

Thanks for watching.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Overnight Cook
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2016, 03:39:02 AM »
@jeffrackmo
Great looking bark! Did you get a couple hour nap or is it nap time after the delivery?
Great job, bud!

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2016, 03:50:40 AM »
@travis.  Thanks and Yes and yes.  Wasn't too bad. Just had me concerned about the low temps ouside.  Ambient air temp was 38f.  Lots of stubbs to keep Mr Butt warm.  The  Maverick pinched me awake  two-times.  Once for an over temp on the grill probe.  I THOUGHT i had it set for 290.   Well 270 was the setting.  The 2nd time was the IT was ready.  Slept off and on. 

Overall successful cook.  Now its nappy time...

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2016, 05:15:29 AM »
Great job! Making me want to get into the WSM game

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2016, 06:27:40 AM »
Looks great.  I haven't tried Stubbs. Where is it available?