Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Just a Saturday Brisket  (Read 3695 times)

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Just a Saturday Brisket
« on: November 05, 2016, 10:56:27 AM »
Had every intention of getting up at 5 today to start my smoke. It was all blown up when I woke at 8. Pregnant wife needed a break so I was with the toddler this morning. Started lighting the coals around 9 and got the brisket on around 10:30. It's a 9 pounder so not too worried about timing. Just now hitting the stall. Mav says IT is 163 and has been for about an hour or so. Kettle has been running way too hot. No water pan this time. Any tips to bring the temp down? Bottom
Vent is closed. Top is always wide open. Rub is Stubbs BBQ and Stubbs Beef rub mixed. While typing this the IT hit 165! I think I'm nearing the end of the stall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Just a Saturday Brisket
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 11:02:48 AM »
Put a small bowl of water in there or just start adjusting the top vent down until your desired temp is hit.

Are you going to wrap?

Lookin hella good man

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Just a Saturday Brisket
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 11:14:27 AM »
I'm no brisket expert but I consider myself wise in the way of the kettle. Crack the bottom and choke the top to 1/3 open. That way your not fighting between too hot and putting the fire out.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 11:36:20 AM »
How hot is it running? Where do you want it? How's your charcoal set up?

I agree with Travis that adding a pan of water would help by acting as a heat sink and absorbing some heat. Perhaps too much lit charcoal was used to start the cook.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Just a Saturday Brisket
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2016, 11:42:58 AM »
It was hard to light as it was left over fuel. Got it lit and then reloaded. Using minion. No water pan. Usually I have water pans but my mind was off this morning. I'll try to add a pan. I want 240-270. I've been running 315 the last hour. Don't think I'll wrap it Travis.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Just a Saturday Brisket
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2016, 11:47:43 AM »
I think I'd give @HoosierKettle advise a go with the air flow. Just got watch it don't start drying out on ya. Might want to have a spritzer ready or put a dab or two of butter on it.

Are you cooking on the red ssp? I'd like to see an action shot of that!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2016, 12:08:51 PM »
No sir. The red SSP is still in the garage. I'm too chicken shit to get her dirty yet. On the crimson gen 3. I just added more peach wood. Added water to my drip pan. She isn't looking dry. I hit the bark with the tongs and I stil get some good feedback. Still jiggly inside.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2016, 12:18:26 PM »
Action.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2016, 12:21:59 PM »
Is that your back yard?  Nice.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2016, 12:24:24 PM »
Yes sir. Close tree is a Sycamore. In the back are some ugly pines but they keep the west wind gusts down. And the burn brush pile back left. Kind of country so I don't bother with leaf cleanup. Just mulch with the mower. It isn't much but it's our little spot here in life.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2016, 12:47:01 PM »
I'd love that. I'm in an old downtown area with a small yard.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2016, 12:51:55 PM »
On a side note here. My neighbor is an old old timer. Right now he is lighting up his black 18.5 OTS. Makes me smile when I smell his grill every time. Hopefully I'll still be lighting mine for the wife when I'm up in my later years.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2016, 12:52:54 PM »
Great pic!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Geezer

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2016, 02:48:55 PM »
The brisket is looking good!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2016, 03:23:23 PM »
Here it is resting fellas.

Adding water to the drip pan helped with the temp control on this one.