Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cleaning  (Read 5155 times)

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Cleaning
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2016, 01:19:59 AM »
I wouldn't worry to much with your daily cooker. I keep a plastic chisel/scraper in the arsenal and only scrape down the bowl if I cooked something like chicken that dripped down. Personally, I just don't like the funk left on there.
If you do or get into a lot of indirect cooking, laying down foil under your protein will definitely help your cooker from getting nasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 01:33:58 AM by Travis »

Geezer

• WKC Brave
Re: Cleaning
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2016, 01:32:41 AM »
When I got my new to me SSP it was pretty nasty inside.  I scrapped some of the heavy build up in the bowl and just wiped off the loose stuff under the lid.  I did was out the bowl with warm water with a little Dawn added.  After that I lit a chimney and got the temp up to dry it out and "sterilize" it.

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2016, 06:26:13 AM »
Thanks everyone for the input and advice.

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2016, 06:27:31 AM »
I wouldn't worry to much with your daily cooker. I keep a plastic chisel/scraper in the arsenal and only scrape down the bowl if I cooked something like chicken that dripped down. Personally, I just don't like the funk left on there.
If you do or get into a lot of indirect cooking, laying down foil under your protein will definitely help your cooker from getting nasty.

Made the mistake once not foiling while smoking ribs and never make that mistake again.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2016, 06:39:42 AM »
No doubt. Those can make a huge mess.

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2016, 07:45:03 AM »

+1
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2016, 09:57:50 AM »

Made the mistake once not foiling while smoking ribs and never make that mistake again.

I use disposable foil pans under my cooks.  I've recently tried "drip beans" which I have seen mentioned here quite a bit.  Get a disposable foil pan to put under your slow-n-low cooks, and put a can or two of baked beans in the pan for your entire slow-n-low cook.  They are awesome!  Before doing beans I usually put some hot water in my pans as a heat sync.  The beans act just the same but give you something good to eat at the end!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 10:16:45 AM by MikeRocksTheRed »
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2016, 11:04:03 AM »
when you do beans, are you talking canned beans or dry beans with water?  I haven't tried that yet.  wouldn't there be too much fat if under a pork butt?

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2016, 11:18:05 AM »
You can do it either way. If you do the dried beans they need to be soaked first. Iève always used canned, its just that much easier.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2016, 01:32:00 PM »
Do you have to take the beans out of the cans first [emoji52]

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2016, 01:42:06 PM »
 Nah! Just throw the can in there!  ;D

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2016, 01:55:24 PM »
Man, that would be funny. Could you just imagine watching someone take the lid off and see a couple cans in there. I'd laugh my ass off!

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
Cleaning
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2016, 03:38:27 PM »

I use disposable foil pans under my cooks.  I've recently tried "drip beans" which I have seen mentioned here quite a bit.  Get a disposable foil pan to put under your slow-n-low cooks, and put a can or two of baked beans in the pan for your entire slow-n-low cook.  They are awesome!  Before doing beans I usually put some hot water in my pans as a heat sync.  The beans act just the same but give you something good to eat at the end!
Man, that's a awesome idea ! Definitely trying that next time I do a Boston butt ! Do you preseason your beans like you would normally do or after the smoke is finished ?

« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 03:44:22 PM by wessonjb »

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2016, 07:45:07 PM »

Man, that's a awesome idea ! Definitely trying that next time I do a Boston butt ! Do you preseason your beans like you would normally do or after the smoke is finished ?

I've only done it twice.  Two big cans of bushs baked beans.  No special flavor just plain old baked beans. Put some bacon slices in one batch.  Neither batch needed anything else in my opinion.  Got plenty of spices and fatty goodness from the meat that was slowly melting above it.

62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2016, 07:45:50 PM »

I'm sure that's not the funniest thing you've said on this forum but it's up there!