Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Add water or no water in WSM?  (Read 14339 times)

1ROW

• WKC Brave
Re: Add water or no water in WSM?
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2016, 07:13:34 PM »
I use water in my pan occasionally. Usually for long overnight cooks where I'm sleeping and want to keep things steady, works well for that. However, every time I use water it steams off the seasoning inside the cooker. The next day the nice black grease is brown and flakey and I have to scrape it all off. Anyone else have this problem?

rjmitch89

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2016, 01:58:16 PM »
I don't find water to necessarily  "hold" temps in the WSM. When I smoke poultry, I won't use water and my temps stay in the 325-350 range. With the same setup using water in the pan, my temps stay in the 225-250 range. Just my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2016, 05:30:58 AM »
I have a question regarding the water pan.  I'm planning on doing a turkey and will leave the water pan dry.  I've only used wsm once and used water and lined the underside of the water pan with foil to eliminate having to clean char from the underside of the pan.  If I do the same method but leave water out of the pan, do I run the risk of melting the aluminum foil or is that just being paranoid?

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2016, 11:21:37 AM »
I have never ran water in my bowl. Always wrap in foil. Never had an issue. Usually the bottom foil lasts me all season. The bowl I replace every time as it acted like a drip pan and caught all the drippings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2016, 12:35:56 PM »
Thanks @iCARRY. I figured as much but rather be safe than sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2016, 01:29:49 AM »
I don't use water in the pan.  I foil wrapped it, placed new  ceramic briqs from a gasser project I had years ago in the foiled water pan.  I then foiled over them keeping a bowl in the foil to catch drippings. The pan full of briqs acts like a great heat sync.  1 bottom vent open 1/3 and top vent open 1/2 keeps me in the 240 260 range.  If I need to use h20, I just use a foil pan on the lower grate.
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...