Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Wait what ? When did these become available? Must be in the rabbit hole.  (Read 2794 times)

getlego

• WKC Brave
Weber Smokey Joe Premium 14” in colors ?

How did I miss this ?

https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/portable-grills/smokey-joe-series/

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

rc

• WKC Brave
They came out in early to mid June. Pretty cool, huh?!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

charred

• WKC Performer
I missed it, too. Pretty cool. Maybe all that bitching we did re: colors everywhere but here has paid off. :/
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Colored CGA’s would be sweet too.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
I am really hoping they will figure this out already.  I have little to no use for a SJ other than trade value or just getting a match to one of my other kettles.  It isnt that it isnt functional, its just that the CGA is just more practical for travel.

If they did a cool color in a CGA I imagine the sales would be much like the glen blue 26.  You know it is overdue and in demand when it is cheaper to just send a CGA to a custom porcelain coater than to buy an original.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 04:50:37 AM by ReanimatedRobot »
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

saxart

• WKC Ranger
Does anyone know if these colored SJs have the older style lid handle as their website shows in the pics, or is it the newer Taco lid-handle?
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Old style, but still has the lid bale which is shorter than the taco handle version.  I actually like this one better as it seems stronger and no worry of porcelain pop around the attaching point.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Here’s a comparison pics...ivory is the new one.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
I personally loathe the taco handles.  Seeing that ivory SJ makes me want an ivory CGA.   Thanks for those comparison shots. 

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
I personally loathe the taco handles.  Seeing that ivory SJ makes me want an ivory CGA.   Thanks for those comparison shots.

Lets pray that they keep the US CGA as a regular handle.  I really wish they just made a clip on shield for the regular handle then you could choose to use it or not.  The taco does have one advantage in that if it is secured property it is less likely to rust, but it doesn't have that advantage for the travel kettles because they spend a majority of their life in a garage/closet.  On the travel kettles it also looks goofy and bulky in my opinion. 

I can see why Weber likes the taco though because it surely makes the manufacturing process easier.  They could definitely redo it though to make it look better.   The curved handle just looks a little silly in my opinion.  At least make it square. 
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

charred

• WKC Performer

X___________________________
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

tibas92017

• WKC Brave
I prefer My Weber Smoky Joe which has the Daisy Wheel on the bottom as these Colored-ones have the Daisy Wheel on the side.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer

I prefer My Weber Smoky Joe which has the Daisy Wheel on the bottom as these Colored-ones have the Daisy Wheel on the side.

Yes, all SJ Premium/gold have the side vents.

BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Caver42

• Smokey Joe
I have a SJ Premium new in box, have hesitated using it because of all I've read about poor airflow and undercooked food. Can any of you pass along some of your experiences with the SJ Premium?I
I was even thinking of a dazy wheel on the bottom of bowl with a pie pan underneath.

getlego

• WKC Brave

I have a SJ Premium new in box, have hesitated using it because of all I've read about poor airflow and undercooked food. Can any of you pass along some of your experiences with the SJ Premium?I
I was even thinking of a dazy wheel on the bottom of bowl with a pie pan underneath.

Is this really true ? I have the 18” version and it cooks fine. I love the design because it is different. I have no problem cooking on it. Sure it will never get to 500 degrees but it’s my go to grill when I want a burger or hot dog in the middle of the night. My wife just purchased a few of these 14” because she likes the colors.

The design to me is genius in that there is no ash pan to deal with and less risk of fire on a windy day. Everything is contained to the bowl and the coals snuff out quickly when you’re done cooking. I think it’s the perfect tailgate grill.

I don’t have experience yet on the 14” but I find it hard to believe the coals would go out. I’m wondering if people don’t bother to empty the ash enough. Can anyone chime in on their experience with these ? I find it hard to believe Weber would have sold these for so many years if they can’t cook food.