Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Wings  (Read 4298 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Wings
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2016, 08:43:06 AM »
Looks fantastic. It's such a great way to cook. I can't believe it took me this many years to use the baskets I've had all along lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Wings
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2016, 02:41:16 PM »
Nice color man. Are the tater slices on there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2016, 05:45:28 PM »
Wow great looking cook
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2016, 12:34:14 AM »
Nice color man. Are the tater slices on there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Used a different plate for them.  they don't last long with a lil dollop of sour cream and some crumbled bacon bits on top.

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2016, 03:13:38 AM »
Wings look fabulous! I'm a Vortex guy, and I don't flip the wings. The baskets are a bit wider than the V, but they look like they work great! Nice job sir!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

KevinP

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2016, 06:23:45 AM »
The wings look great. I am going to have to try this method. Since the heat is concentrated in the center.  Will this degrade the grate in that spot?

Geezer

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2016, 10:00:09 AM »
The wings look great. I am going to have to try this method. Since the heat is concentrated in the center.  Will this degrade the grate in that spot?

Yes, my grate has developed is little sag in the middle.  But, I had dedicated this grate to Vortex cooking only.  I recently bought a Weber grate with the removable center and I'll just use it when the other one is done.

KevinP

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2016, 10:12:54 AM »
Thanks Geezer.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2016, 11:30:38 AM »
Wings look fabulous! I'm a Vortex guy, and I don't flip the wings. The baskets are a bit wider than the V, but they look like they work great! Nice job sir!

couple things I've noticed.  He looks to be using a non hinged grate like the one I was using.  Looking at the hinged grates, they are grated (if that's a word) all the way to the handles which buys a tiny bit more precious real estate.  The baskets look like you lose a little bit of real estate as compared to the vortex.  All this is to say a hinged grate with a vortex would maximize your wing real estate.  No such thing as too many wings that I'm aware of  :).

Also, another winged theory of mine is that I think the baskets would be better than a vortex in a 26" kettle because the center hot spot is bigger in diameter and would allow it to cook better than a vortex in a 26.  In other words the hot spot area of the baskets is larger to accommodate the larger grill surface. It's an unproven theory but just something I came up with when I should have been working.

So In an ideal world, I might get a vortex to use on the 22 and use the baskets for a vortex like cook in the 26?  Thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 11:34:11 AM by HoosierKettle »

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2016, 11:37:58 AM »
After this I'm just going to use baskets and save the $ for something else.

Crimson Performer Platinum "AH", Red MT "P", Red Mist SSP "EZ", Faded Black "A", Black OTG "DE".
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

blieb

• WKC Brave
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2016, 12:05:29 PM »
I'm a flipper.  Drums seem to have 1 main fatty side, and 1 lesser... Both benefit from crisping.

On wings one side benefits from crisping but I usually flip for good measures.

I've tried different coal configurations but usually what works best for me is high heat for almost the entire grill.  I leave one cool spot for wings to chill out, and I leave the center almost coal-less so it's not a burn zone.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Smokers:    WSM 22" | WSM 14.5"
Performers: Plum SS  | Red Fade SS

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2016, 12:43:52 PM »
Your wings look great!  I like to cycle the wings into the center for some char action … So, I guess I'm a flipper … I prefer it this way.

I fabricated a "polar vortex" basket.  Works awesome with wings.  It's the same diameter as a SJ charcoal grate.
Homemade EM baskets are all I use.

Sorry for all of the pics.  Not trying to hi-jack the thread.  Just showing what can be done with some creative thinking … Beer usually helps with this.  ;)

4.5 lbs of wings ....

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2016, 03:32:58 PM »
Those look great. The wings and the basket. Your not hijacking at all. The more pictures of wings and wing cooking accessories the better.

What seasoning did you use on the wings?

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2016, 04:11:53 PM »

I think it was just your basic light coating of EVOO, then Montreal chicken seasoning.  I like to change it up every time I do wings.
Sometimes I will marinate them for 2 days in Buffalo wing sauce … Then sprinkle some powdered Franks on them, or powdered Sriracha.  Very good!
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2016, 01:55:55 AM »

I think it was just your basic light coating of EVOO, then Montreal chicken seasoning.  I like to change it up every time I do wings.
Sometimes I will marinate them for 2 days in Buffalo wing sauce … Then sprinkle some powdered Franks on them, or powdered Sriracha.  Very good!

Thanks for the da, I gotta try that!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM