Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Storing WSM inverted?  (Read 3566 times)

jdefran

• WKC Brave
Storing WSM inverted?
« on: September 18, 2016, 03:25:49 PM »
I thought I saw that on here or another forum...

Does anyone put the middle section upside down on their WSM to prevent water from getting in? How has it work for you? Do you leave the bottom vents open?

TheDude

• WKC Performer
Re: Storing WSM inverted?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 05:19:14 PM »
I just store in the garage, with all vents open and no cover. No issues thus far.

Ok I get some cobwebs, if I don't use it for a few months. Gone by the time I'm up to temp though. No mold issues.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 05:20:49 PM by TheDude »
Still need a 22” yellow

William_Cannon

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 07:26:44 PM »
I store mine outside with a cover and don't have issues with water getting in.

Tapa

Easy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 07:12:19 PM »
By storing the mid section inverted the section lip or seam will not catch and hold water.
If you look at how the mid section mates to the other two parts the natural lip of the lid to mid allows water to enter the WSM.
If you invert the mid that issue is reversed water or sweat will just shed off and roll down the exterior of the mid not the inside.
Very handy when storing outside covered or not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 10:03:23 AM »
Store mine assembled, in the garage and covered.  Not a problem for me.  I HAD a charbroil h2O smoker that was stored outside and covered.  It was a mess after not using it for a few months...  its long gone now.  Store ALL of my kettles n wsm in the garage.   
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 11:55:21 AM »
My little wsm is stored assembled and covered with all vents open. My big wsm is stored assembled uncovered with all vents open.
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 05:01:53 PM »
WORST design ever on a smoker! and its probably the biggest complaint among loyal WSM users.

WTF! some of the responders to this post must live in the desert because here in the Pacific Northwet, a lot of folks drill a drip hole in the bowl to drain between uses and nut and bolt during cooks. Even covered water will accumulate in the bowls around here when left outside. For years I kept mine under a fabric gazebo with 2 covers and it didn't have any effect.

Take a look at the new rotisserie rings for the 22" kettle, people have been bitching for years about the design-it took Chris Perres and Cajun Bandit to dig into Weber's market share on that! Weber doesn't listen to its loyal customers, WSM's are a small portion of their biz-gas grills are the bread and butter!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 05:04:08 PM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 05:33:58 PM »
Especially the Spirit line. Made over seas right? When most folks look at a Genesis they probably have sticker shock and go straight to Spirit. I assume the profit margin is a lot larger on that lineup.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 03:15:54 PM »
WSM stored assembled  covered and in the garage..
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2016, 08:44:54 PM »
 I store mine assembled, right side up and uncovered but I'm one of those desert dwellers
I'M A RECOVERING WEBER ADDICT
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2016, 06:28:44 PM »
I store mine with the center section upside and covered. While I get much less moisture inside, some does accumulate as swamprb stated. I may try that hole in the base trick.
Uncommon sense seeker

70monte

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2016, 03:43:25 PM »
I store mine with the middle upside down and covered with a cover.  It is also under a carport so it doesn't get any direct water.  I do need to check it for condensation buildup though.

Wayne