Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pork Hocks  (Read 1766 times)

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Pork Hocks
« on: September 10, 2016, 09:20:28 PM »
I had recently watched a BBQ Pit Boys video ….. Man, I gotta try this … It looks guuuud !!  Need to try this on a kettle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI9ZMNoJx-g

Picked up some hocks …. Weighed in at about 4-4.5 lbs total.  $3 / lb.

I decided to brine these.  2 litres of water, and a half cup of kosher salt …. Gave it a good stir …. 18 hours total.

A light rinse, patted dry, then on to the grill.  I lit 6 briquets, then added them for the pre-heat.

Pork hocks going on.  No wood for smoke:o :o

After 2.5 hours.  At this point, I started to baste them in a beer-honey-salt mixture …. Every 20-40 minutes …
I was also adding about 5-6 lit briquets every hour to maintain temperature.

Got some onions, peppers, and bacon sautéed up to add to the kraut mixture.

Here was the kraut I had on hand ….

I added that to the sauté to give it some warmth, then the magic happened …….
A full mini chimney of lit charcoal was dumped into the performer for the duration of the cook.

Then the pan of goodness was back into the kettle …

It settled in to a nice temperature ….

In the early to mid afternoon, I received a message from WKC member @Lightning  … He said that he would be in the area.
I said, come on by …. got some tender vittles cooking up …. it would be a pleasure meeting a Grillfella.

Time to remove the main course …..

Scrap heap ….

This meal was fantastic!!  Will be doing this again, for sure.

We sat in the garage and feasted on some fine fair …. And, shot the breeze, as well.   :D :D

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
Re: Pork Hocks
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 07:38:56 AM »
Looks like a good meal to me.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 08:45:37 AM »
Looks great and always good to meet another grillfella!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 06:15:10 PM »
Thanks for having me over, especially on such short notice!

I wasn't planning a trip to Barrie but I had been looking for fire pits for my back yard and the ones I liked rarely go on sale. The full list price is steep so I thought someone, somewhere has to have a sale on these so Saturday morning I started searching around. Sure enough, I find them on sale at Cabela's.

I thought the idea was scuttled when all the Cabela's locations were in western Canada except for the one location they have in Ontario which is in Barrie. (a very smart choice of location now that I think about it, catching all the Golden Horseshoe traffic heading north on the 400 before it splits north of Barrie).  That's a reasonable drive from here.  So off I went through the back roads. Had a beautiful drive up and back. Sent a message while I was on my way saying I'd be nearby and we were able to meet and share some good food and good stories.

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 06:39:58 PM »
Looks amazing!  Gona watch the video.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 06:22:59 AM »
I forgot to mention that these were on for close to 8 hours.  Probably could have taken them off after 7 hours or so.

These are not packed with meat, but the meat that is present is absolutely delicious!!  The bones are larger than I had first thought.  ???
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 06:54:38 AM »
I did pork hocks once and they tasted like the muck the pig rolled around in. Now seeing this I am thinking a brine may have washed that taste away. Why no smoke Mac?
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 07:56:03 PM »
There is an Oktoberfest in San Francisco that serves an amazing pork knuckle, and damn if yours doesn't look as good or better. Pork and kraut (I can never not laugh when I think of kraut as "liberty cabbage" - an old WWII nickname in the vein of "freedom fries") were made to go together.