Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Question about the Burner Assembly on old Touch-n-Go Performer  (Read 1672 times)

reynoldsg

• Smokey Joe
Question about the Burner Assembly on old Touch-n-Go Performer
« on: September 02, 2016, 07:49:03 AM »
So I've been working on restoring this almost 20 year old performer with the gas assist ignition. I am still waiting on a new push button igniter, but the burner assembly seems to be working fine as long as you manually light it. I lit it for the first time last night and after a few minutes of burning, I heard some loud noises that I initially thought was my son knocking on something. As I got closer to the grill, I could tell it was the flame popping, like gusts of wind were blowing it. But it wasn't windy at all. At one point the flame went out. I lit it again and this time it stayed lit until the charcoal caught. However while it was lit, I also noticed flames running down the side of the burner assembly all the way to the wall of the kettle. Is this normal? Has anybody else experienced the same issue? I'm new to gas-assisted ignitions, so I don't really know what the issue could be. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 08:08:21 AM by reynoldsg »

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
Re: Question about the Burner Assembly on old Touch-n-Go Performer
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 08:09:16 AM »
Sounds like you have a spider nest in the tube.  A little compressed air, or a venturi brush, to clear it & it should function properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

reynoldsg

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 01:28:46 PM »
Here's what I'm working with so far.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 02:36:05 PM »
Very Nice  !!!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

mrgoodbar67

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 03:19:12 PM »
Very nice.  as stated, just clean the burner tube.  You may have ash, dirt, twigs, insects inside.
-Custon SS 1998 Performer- with mods inspired by Idahawk, Winz, Zavod44 and a bunch of you here.
- Jumbo Joe with smoker mods

reynoldsg

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 04:17:55 PM »
Thanks. I did exactly that and it appears to be working properly now. I think part of the problem also was that the ignitor was not hooked to the tube. Maybe gas was escaping out of those holes?? Idk. Seems ok now.

tspin818

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 10:09:39 PM »
Nice looking grill!

Sent from my XT1254 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 08:05:53 AM by tspin818 »
Holy grail Red Smokey Joe

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 02:22:15 AM »
I had the same model/color.  How is the frame as far as being stable and not wobbling?
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

reynoldsg

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 05:04:11 PM »
It's extremely stable. It was stable before I disassembled it and is just as stable after putting it back together. It's my new favorite grill to use.