Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cooking Bacon …. Experiment  (Read 1699 times)

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Cooking Bacon …. Experiment
« on: August 14, 2016, 01:32:24 PM »
I had never tried this, so I thought to give it go.

A whole package (375 grams) of bacon with some Maple-Bacon seasoning sprinkled on both sides.

I was wanting / hoping to slowly cook this for some time …  So, here was my charcoal set-up.
Some unlit briquets, and I added 3 lit briquets to this, along with some very thin pieces of cherry wood.

I did not do a pre-heat stage.  Put on the bacon.  Intakes were open just a crack.  And the temperatures settled in.
This particular thermo is from my Performer, and it is very accurate.

Here it is after 2 hours.  There was still plenty of charcoal remaining.
I then opened the intakes wide and the temperature settled in at around 300° for about 40-45 minutes.

After a total of 3 hours, I removed it from the kettle and let it rest covered in foil.

The charcoal was almost completely spent.

After resting for almost an hour, I had a sample.  I chose to have a piece from the middle of the pack.  Also had an edge piece.
It was not completely cooked i.e. crispy, or anything like that, but cooked nice enough that one cook wrap a scallop or filet mignon and do a quick sear.

And, I gotta say that the flavour was fantastic!  I want to try this again and maybe tweak a few things … Not sure yet what that would be.

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Cooking Bacon …. Experiment
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 10:50:47 PM »
You got 3 hours from 10 pieces of coal? Wow, that's fire management! Looking forward to the future expirements

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 04:09:43 AM »
Might try cooking it in/on a CI skillet/griddle at same low temps for a little direct contact. I've started several pieces of bacon stuck together like tha for when space is tight. Once some
Fat renders and it shrinks then I'll pull the pieces apart to crisp.

Love seeing fun stuff like this!

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 06:17:11 AM »
Here are a few more pics.

You got 3 hours from 10 pieces of coal? Wow, that's fire management! Looking forward to the future expirements

@Travis , I know, right!  I continue to be amazed at how little charcoal is required to cook on a Weber kettle.
I used Maple Leaf briquets, as they are amazing for this.

Later I did up a 7 lb yardbird on the rotisserie, so I will be eating club sandwiches all week.  I like that!

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 08:20:13 AM »
That looks good.  There weren't any problems with laying the bacon in line with the grate bars?  I've got some bacon in the fridge I'll have to try this with once the pulled pork leftovers are all eaten up.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 08:42:01 AM »
There weren't any problems with laying the bacon in line with the grate bars?

Thanks for pointing that out … I honestly didn't realize it.  ??? :-\   No, not any problems.

I just had some with a club sandwich.  It was fantastic.

When I do this again, I will most likely try to push for a total of 4 hours.  Maybe add a couple three lit briquets or so along the way.

My wife likes crispy bacon, but I do not, so this stuff is real nice.

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 06:50:09 PM »
When I smoke bacon I use one charcoal basket filled.  I line the charcoal grate with foil up to the basket.  I spread the bacon out as much as possible.  Keep the temp around 250 for about two hours.  I turn over the bacon one or twice during cooking.  I also use a little bit of applewood chunks.  I learned this techninue from watching the Barbeque Pit Boys.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson