Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Coupla Pies  (Read 2352 times)

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
Coupla Pies
« on: August 12, 2016, 09:54:20 AM »
I’ve been playing with the Pizza Que lately and I’m still not completely happy with the end product.  It tastes pretty good but it just seems to be missing something.  I just use standard flour and other normal ingredients, maybe that’s it?
Here’s what we had to work with…
4-day ferment on the dough

Balled up and resting…

Ready to load up…

1st pizza on deck…

In she goes…

Not terrible looking…

Quick piece while I toss the other pizza together…

This is the point where I realized I was short on pepperoni so I chopped it up and tossed it with some mozzarella, red pepper flake, and garlic

In the oven with you!

Fin!

Thanks for looking!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Coupla Pies
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 10:54:59 AM »
Looks good to me!  What is it you aren't quite happy with, the dough, sauce, how its cooking?

I've been using the Bobby Flay dough that a few other people here have been using as well.  I like it because it doesn't have to be made days in advance, just an hour or two.  I have a friend who has a custom wood fired pizza oven out on his patio and has always done a 3 day rise dough, but has now switch over to the Bobby Flay dough.  Not much a difference in results between this and what he was doing and its a lot less hassle.  I think there are also a few people here using a recipe from serious eats...I'm sure they will post a link for you.  I use King Arthur's unbleached bread flour when I make my dough.  I've never tried regular everyday flour, so that might actually fix what you haven't quite been able to get your finger on so far.

Also, are you hand stretching/tossing your dough or rolling it?  I still have not tried rolling dough after being told be several experts not to.  I can't make a round pizza to save my life, but that doesn't stop me from trying each dough I stretch!

Sauce?  If you are using a pre-made sauce, try getting a can of Cento San Marzano whole tomatoes.  Just give them a quick crush or a quick pulse or two in a blend and use it as is.  A lot of people tweak this by adding paste, garlic, herbs, cooking down, etc, but I like it without adding anything to it.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 11:05:44 AM »
I typically feed, knead, and stretch by hand.  I think I will try the Bobby Flay recipe and see how that goes.  Sauce I usually make myself......it's.........ok.  San Marzano is a much better way to go.

I appreciate your help for sure! I'm going to start tweaking.

My wife got the Pizza Que for me for last September for my birthday and I kind of didn't do much with it until recently so I'm not exactly the most experienced with it yet.

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 06:34:49 AM »
Nice pies! Just curious, but are you baking the pies on a baking paper or something like that? Oh, and what's in your dough recipe since you think it's missing something?

Garvinque

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 02:07:50 PM »
Maybe shorten your ferment time by half!
LET THE FIRE DO THE WORK! 22 OTG Frankenstein, Jumbo Joe, Weber 26.75 Kettle,Weber Char Q,Weber Baby Blue Q 100, Kamado Joe Jr, Cobb Grill-Both sizes, Southwest Disk Cowboy Wok!

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 06:05:41 AM »
Nice pies! Just curious, but are you baking the pies on a baking paper or something like that? Oh, and what's in your dough recipe since you think it's missing something?
These were baked directly on the pizza stone but it was on top of a baking steel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app