Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Tools recommended to start making pizza ?  (Read 4679 times)

Gpinch1

• WKC Brave
Tools recommended to start making pizza ?
« on: August 17, 2016, 11:50:31 PM »
Hello,

I have a Weber Pizza oven on its way, so I am getting the tools I need.
Seems like there are a number of items available. Just not sure if I need them all?
Any guidance on what are great tools would be appreciated.

Is the Weber peel the ideal one?
Wooden peel size?
Do you guys use dough dockers?
Rocker pizza cutter?
Pizza spinner (KP vs Cuisinart)
Pizza stone brush (is a long handled one necessary if I can lift the lid easily)

Any other 'tools of the trade' suggestions would also be greatly appreciated
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 03:44:34 AM by Gpinch1 »

Nate

• WKC Ranger
Re: Tools recommended to start making pizza ?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 05:56:58 AM »
I've never used the Weber peel, so I don't know. I have 3 peels, 2 stainless steel, and 1 wood. I use them all. I'd say a 14" peel would work in most situations. My wood peel, I believe is 16". I don't use a docker; I hand stretch (my homemade dough), and sometimes use a rolling pin (for store bought dough because it's harder to work with). A rocker pizza cutter is nice, but I think a standard wheel cutter is more versatile. As for spinners, I've used them and IMO, I don't think it's worth it. I like to use a small peel to turn the pie. As for the stone brush, I like a longer handled one.

Gpinch1

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 06:11:02 AM »
Thanks Nate that pretty much answers all my questions. :)

Maxmbob

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 12:27:27 PM »
I have several pizza books. 
The two that I use the most are:
Craig Whitson's, Passion for Pizza: A Journey Through Thick and Thin to Find the Pizza Elite.
And
The Pizza Bible, by Tony Gemginani.

WTB, Westerner, glen blue,

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 03:17:01 PM »
get two peels. a nice wooden one for assembling pizzas and putting them in the oven, and a longer handled metal one.
@Jason gave me one that he picked up at a restaurant supply store - it's freaking awesome and i believe he paid $13 for it

pizza spinners are handy, but they're easy to make (you can even just use your normal bbq tongs)

you don't need a stone brush. clean it with a razor scraper if it's crusty

Gpinch1

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 03:20:53 PM »
Awesome, thanks @Troy and @Maxmbob.

What about the extra small peels for spinning? They are around 8" Worthwhile or not?

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 03:51:33 PM »
I like my pizza spinners.  I use them both for spinning pizzas and occasionally to hold the back edge of the pizza to make sure I don't push it off the stone when taking it off with the metal peel.  Got mine on amazon I think....they are basically the same as the ones Kettle Pizza sells on their site.  I also use the spinners from time to time to pop air bubbles in the dough during cooks if one pops up somewhere in the main part of the pizza.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 04:48:06 PM »
Need some cheap spinners? Go to Goodwill or whatever thrift store and pick up a few BBQ forks. Bend the tips 90 degrees and you're done.

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 05:32:37 AM »
A Kitchen Aid mixer is nice to have.  Ove Gloves are great to have on stand by.  A few pizza pans.  Parchment paper if you want to cheat on getting things in and out.  A dough knife is super handy. 

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2016, 07:19:40 AM »
A Kitchen Aid mixer is nice to have.  Ove Gloves are great to have on stand by.  A few pizza pans.  Parchment paper if you want to cheat on getting things in and out.  A dough knife is super handy.

I started off making my dough totally by hand then had a family member give me their kitchen aid since they don't use it.  That was a game changer as far as making dough!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Yendor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2016, 09:09:55 AM »
I use a dough docker to keep from needing to pop big bubbles, its worked great. I will be posting a pizza thread tonight or early tomorrow so stay tuned.

70monte

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2016, 06:13:37 PM »
Is this the Weber Pizza oven that is for sale overseas?  Can I ask where you ordered yours from because I'm interested in getting one.

Wayne

shelterit

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2016, 09:51:26 AM »
I use three peels; a wooden one to assemble and launch the pizza, a 8 inch round metal one to spin pizza, and a 14 inch metal to remove pizza. I wont get rid of any of them. One thing about the wood peel is to make sure it's thin but sturdy. I've seen some really thick ones and they are almost impossible to get under a pizza. I use semolina flour on my peels and I like the long handled brush to sweep the the stone in between pizzas. Kitchen aid with a spiral dough hook. Stay away from the C shaped one.  Proofing containers are great as well. My favorite book is American Pie: My Search for the Perfect Pizza by Peter Reinhart.  It has great dough recipes and very good advice. Just remember no matter how much you buy or acquire there will always be more gadgets you may want but wont need.  Have fun and enjoy the mistakes as much as the great pizza you will be making

Gpinch1

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 02:09:56 PM »
Thanks @shelterit this really helps !