Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Friday evening pepperoni deep dish on the Kettle Pizza  (Read 4044 times)

Nate

• WKC Ranger
Friday evening pepperoni deep dish on the Kettle Pizza
« on: August 05, 2016, 04:37:33 PM »
Trying out a different Malnati's style dough recipe, this time with 5% semolina. I think I like it with more semolina so I'll try it with 10% next time. I also used a heavy gauge aluminized steel cake pan instead of the cast iron; wanted a deep dish pizza pan but I couldn't find one and they seem the same as the cake pan but black.

If you don't know already, I like to see pictures so that's why I post a lot of pics.

KAAP - 95% - 175g
Semolina - 5% - 10g
Water - 46% - 85g
Corn Oil - 19% - 35g
Olive Oil- 4% - 7g
Salt - less than 1/8 tsp
Sugar - 1/4 tsp
IDY - 1/4 tsp

« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 04:42:04 PM by Nate »

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Friday evening pepperoni deep dish on the Kettle Pizza
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 06:45:48 PM »
Dude you definitely know your shit. That looks awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 07:00:46 PM »
That crust is unbelievable! Mouthwatering pies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If it ain't smoked don't eat it!

Thomas Andrews

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 06:14:21 AM »
You've probably posted it a zillion times, but how do you get your tomato sauce to look like that?

I want to be able to do it!

Amazing pizza as always!

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 06:27:15 AM »
Nice looking pies Nate! That style of crust looks very tasty to me.

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 03:52:52 PM »
You've probably posted it a zillion times, but how do you get your tomato sauce to look like that?

I want to be able to do it!

Amazing pizza as always!
@Thomas Andrews   This is what I use. FYI, I used a different brand of tomatoes for this cook.

I pour the tomatoes into a collendar, crush up the tomatoes with a wooden spoon or spatula, and drain off as much liquid as possible. You don't want a lot of liquid in your deep dish tomatoes or else you run the chance of a soggy pie. Season the tomatoes with whatever you like if you want. Hope that helps.

Thomas Andrews

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 04:08:00 PM »
That, itself, is the game changer.

Much obliged, Nate.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2016, 08:54:54 AM »
VERY NICE!.. something I will have to try! thank you for the inspiration!!
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 08:45:26 AM »
@Thomas Andrews @Nate - San Marzanos are the way to go.  @Nate you are absolutely right about draining for deep dish.  For regular pizza I don't drain and just crush up the tomatoes and use it just like that without any other steps for making the sauce.  I see a lot of people adding tomato paste, seasonings, cooking it down, etc, but in my opinion it doesn't need it.  And from what I have seen from a few chef friends out here in Phoenix, most of the wood fired pizza places do that same thing....just canned SM tomatoes crushed up and used as is.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 09:07:47 AM »
@Thomas Andrews @Nate - San Marzanos are the way to go.  @Nate you are absolutely right about draining for deep dish.  For regular pizza I don't drain and just crush up the tomatoes and use it just like that without any other steps for making the sauce.  I see a lot of people adding tomato paste, seasonings, cooking it down, etc, but in my opinion it doesn't need it.  And from what I have seen from a few chef friends out here in Phoenix, most of the wood fired pizza places do that same thing....just canned SM tomatoes crushed up and used as is.

@MikeRocksTheRed I like both th San Marzano's and plum tomatoes, so I use both. San Marzano's on on this deep dish. For my standard pies, I just drain off the liquid in the can and use the submersion blender. Sometimes, depending on how I feel, I'll add sea salt, red pepper flakes and dried basil to it. I agree with the sauce cooking, it's not needed. Sauce cooking is for spaghetti, right? 8)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2016, 09:17:21 AM »

@MikeRocksTheRed I like both th San Marzano's and plum tomatoes, so I use both. San Marzano's on on this deep dish. For my standard pies, I just drain off the liquid in the can and use the submersion blender. Sometimes, depending on how I feel, I'll add sea salt, red pepper flakes and dried basil to it. I agree with the sauce cooking, it's not needed. Sauce cooking is for spaghetti, right? 8)

I just noticed that the can of crushed Cento San Marzano's I have doesn't have the basil leaf in it.  I bought that to try for my next deep dish.  Now I am thinking I will save it for something else.  I think the "with basil leaf" SM's really benefit from the little bit of basil flavor.  I also thought all of their Peeled Tomatoes were "plum shaped" but now see that they have two version one that is and one that isn't.  I know the first few times I used the plum shaped, but am thinking that I have used the non plum shaped ones a few times as well and didn't notice any difference in the taste.

And you are right about sauce cooking is for spaghetti!  And actually, I like to simmer my spaghetti sauce for a few hours, then put in the fridge overnight before eating it.  It seems to really change the flavor....first day sauce is ok but not the same is next day sauce!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

smokster

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 04:28:09 PM »
That deep-dish looks perfect.

Thanks for sharing er showing it to us. :P