Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Shrimp Scampi Pizza 8/05  (Read 7594 times)

Jason

• WKC Ranger
Shrimp Scampi Pizza 8/05
« on: August 06, 2016, 07:29:52 AM »
I had been wanting to make a pizza like this for some time, but mostly make the basics to keep everyone happy. Nobody home tonight but me, so decided it was time!

I made the basic dough that I always do (recipe below) and topped it with fresh mozzarella, pink gulf shrimp, baby bella mushrooms, shallots, garlic, with fresh tomato’s and basil from my garden. Instead of sauce, I just drizzled EVOO over the top. The basil was actually added after the pizza was fully cooked.

I use whatever charcoal I have handy to get things going. I use the fire bricks to keep the fire from creeping under the cooking surface.

Right before I assemble the pizzas on the wooden peel, I slide a small split of red oak on top of the coal bed. I just slide it across the steel.

Moving quickly, I get all of the ingredients loaded on and straight onto the steel. I think it was about 600* or so in there. I was a bit worried about the amount of stuff I loaded on, but this one slid right off the wooden peel.

This pizza only took a few minutes until it was done. It was just me, so I only made this one pizza. I had a couple other dough balls ready to go, in case of disaster lol. I love shrimp scampi, served over fine linguini, so that is what I was trying to get with this pizza. Overall, I was very happy with the results!

This is the dough recipe I have been using for 35+ years. It only takes about 10 minutes to prepare and about 1-hour to rise sufficiently.

1-cup warm water (100*-110*)
1-packet yeast (I use the "original" Fleischmann's packets, not the "rapid rise")
1/2-tsp sugar
1-tsp salt
1-tbsp veg or olive oil
2.5-3-cups bread flour

In a large mixing bowl, I add the yeast and sugar to the warm water and let it dissolve. Takes about 5 minutes. Then add the salt and oil. Mix that around to dissolve the salt. Add 2-cups of the flour and get an even consistency. Start adding the last cup of flour while kneading the dough. I stop adding flour, once the dough is just barely dry enough to pull away from my fingers without sticking. I cut the dough into 4 equal pieces, that will net 12"-14" very thin pizzas. Put the dough balls into lightly oiled bowls, then place into the oven to rise (a bowl of hot water, in the oven, seems to help the dough rise quicker). I also cover the dough with a clean dish towel, while it rises.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 01:43:25 PM by Jason »

Darko

• WKC Performer
Re: Shrimp Scampi Pizza 8/05
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 07:31:49 AM »
That looks great!!! I'll take 2 please!

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 08:03:26 AM »
That's a good show, brother!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Growing family = growing kettles!

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 04:59:02 PM »
Very nice Jason!  8)

What's your dough recipie?

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 07:11:30 AM »
Thanks guys!

@Nate I added the dough recipe to the original post.

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 08:00:32 AM »
Incredible idea !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2016, 08:48:10 AM »
WELL DONE, I wish I was into the LOADED pizza thing..Looks so good.  Looking at your dough I think I figured out one of my problems...Sticking to the peel, you dough looks to be "dryer" than mine. Something to keep in mind on my next go round!
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2016, 10:10:42 AM »
Beautiful looking pizza!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If it ain't smoked don't eat it!

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2016, 01:27:38 PM »
That looks awesome!  Great idea!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 09:25:24 AM »
OH man....you always turn out great pizzas but this one takes the cake!  Great job.  I'll definitely be doing a shrimp pizza whenever I get around to making some pizzas this week.

@Jason -  Is that the other bobby flay recipe you are using?  He has two, and I use the one that calls for 3.5-4 cups of flour.  I might have to give this recipe a shot and see how it compares.  The one you used has less flour and water but the same amount of yeast, so I am thinking it might stretch easier than the one I've been using.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

smokster

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2016, 04:32:22 PM »
Looks great!

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 04:36:12 PM »
Is that the other bobby flay recipe you are using?

No, my mom found this recipe in the local newspaper in 1978  :o  and suggested I make some pizza. I've been using it ever since. I'm still satisfied with the results, so haven't moved out of my comfort zone  :)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2016, 08:32:53 AM »
Is that the other bobby flay recipe you are using?

No, my mom found this recipe in the local newspaper in 1978  :o  and suggested I make some pizza. I've been using it ever since. I'm still satisfied with the results, so haven't moved out of my comfort zone  :)

After reading Troy's KP review I'm going to try out your dough.  How long are you letting it rise?  When it is done rising do you punch it down at all or just go straight to stretching it?
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2016, 09:14:17 AM »

How long are you letting it rise?  When it is done rising do you punch it down at all or just go straight to stretching it?

I let it rise until it at least doubles in size, which takes about 1 hour. No punching. I handle the dough as little as possible. I feel the less it gets worked over the better the texture and chew.

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2016, 06:02:51 PM »
nice looking pie and thanks for the dough recipe. have you ever tried it using alfredo sauce for a base?
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank