Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Help me identify a Kettle?  (Read 6808 times)

Atalanta

• Smokey Joe
Help me identify a Kettle?
« on: August 01, 2016, 07:02:35 AM »
I'm looking to buy a kettle on craigslist. I don't go get it for another couple days (it's a long drive) so I want to make sure I'm not getting too badly ripped off.

I believe it's 22". The handle has a single screw. I tried to use the identify guide but couldn't find one where there is one screw, patent no., but no letter code and blank at the bottom of the upper vent. I don't know the configuration of the lower vents. I could get a new black one what I've agreed to pay for this, but its BLUE!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Help me identify a Kettle?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 09:08:15 AM »
I would see if they can send you some more pics.  Close up of the lid vent, a pic of the inside of the kettle, leg sockets, etc..  Sounds like you might be overpaying for this one if you can get a brand new grill for the same price.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 09:16:14 AM »
If there is no letter code, it is pre 1979.

Atalanta

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 09:23:15 AM »
Near as I can tell, there is no letter stamp on the vent and the Patent number is right under WEBER. There are no markings near the vent handle. The handle on the top of the kettle has one point of attachment. I looked closer at the lid pic and there appears to be wood side handles too. That moves it closer to 1981.

Sure, I could get a copper one for the same price (we already have a black one) but this is BLUE. ;)

edited to change that there are wood handles which bumps it out of the '70's.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 04:48:46 AM by Atalanta »

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 09:28:15 AM »
Sounds like a '78. I think that was the first year for the stamped weber vent. earlier it was engraved.

Atalanta

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 09:39:19 AM »
This is a zoomed image of the vent.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 10:12:13 AM »

This is an interesting kettle. 1981 was the year Weber transitioned  from the MBH to wood handles on the bowl and from two rivet handles to single screw handles. This having a single screw wood handle would date it to at least 81, but then it should have a letter stamp.  The vent chart date does not have a vent shown like this one that has no "Arlington Heights, Ill" stamp at near the vent tab.  If anyone will know it will be @Craig or @56MPG.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 10:14:38 AM »
This looks like a late 80s early 90s kettle. Nice looking one too!

Atalanta

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 10:50:41 AM »
I like a mystery! I guess when I get this baby home, I'll need to post lots of pics for expert evaluation. What confuddled me the most was that there was no date code and no "Arlington Heights, Ill". Seeing the wood handles helped me to guess years. Can't tell if it has the dial vents or the lever vents. I'm just hoping I can get the legs off to fit it into my car!

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 10:55:13 AM »
Might have been a lazy stamping job and the lower part of the vent didn't get hit right. Or maybe that portion of the stamping tool was down for repair. I'd have to see a better pic to be sure. My eyes can almost make out a letter...
Retired

DonoBBQ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 01:34:20 PM »
Or quite possibly it has a replacement lid? Don't they leave those blank?
Too many grills and too little time! Looking for a  BLUE GENESIS GASSER! Will pay a bounty!

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2016, 03:14:45 PM »
This is a very special kettle, notice the "R" with the circle around it, this stands for RARE... i think...LOL ??? ???
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2016, 03:18:36 PM »
It actually stands for Rick.

My Circle R brand.

Thank you for finding it.

You can just send it back to me.

[emoji6]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Dude, relax your chicken.

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2016, 04:43:52 PM »
It actually stands for Rick.

My Circle R brand.

Thank you for finding it.

You can just send it back to me.

[emoji6]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
So happy you guys sorted that out...  I feel much better now..  lol[emoji52]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2016, 05:33:38 PM »
Nice @dazzo, ROFL!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.