Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: The irrational brisket...  (Read 3846 times)

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
The irrational brisket...
« on: July 30, 2016, 06:09:37 AM »
Brisket was always my weakest category when I was competing.  I've pulled off a couple of trophies and placed high in the standings, but consistency was always an issue.  One week it would be killer, the next medicore at best.  I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong.

I came to realize that the problem was that in competition I was cooking to a schedule based on a turn-in deadline, and for some reason brisket does not recognize schedules or deadlines.  Monitoring cooks where all things were relatively equal, extremely similar briskets could be done in 7 hours or they could be done in 10 hours.

The only reasonable cooking philosophy I can come up with for brisket is the incredibly vague "it's done when it's done".  Rational thinking says that doing the same thing every time should lead to relatively the same results, but brisket completely defies reason in this manner.

Has anyone else noticed this BBQ anomaly?
"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
Re: The irrational brisket...
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 06:40:26 AM »
One way to think about it is that everyone shares the same handicap in a competition.  I don't competitively bbq btw.  Just sharing an idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 06:50:37 AM »
My competition days are behind me as well.  In general I'm just wondering if anyone had any insight as to why this particular cut behaves in such an predictable manner.  Anomalies fascinate me.
"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 04:58:14 PM »
I've never done a comp brisket and have only done a dozen or so myself at my home and I totally agree, they are NEVER the same.

I really believe it's just such a tough cut of meat that the age of the cow, how it's raised, fed, how it lives effects the cut and then, the results. You can cook a pile of shit for hours, but at the end, guess what you're left with!

I would actually love to find a fresh source and consistent breed or i guess I mean same breed?? And try them that way to see if they're more consistent, rather than just buying one from the store. See how they would turn out.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 10:05:12 PM »
comp brisket
backyard brisket
bbq joint brisket

3 totally different briskets
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 11:30:40 AM »
I've never done a comp brisket and have only done a dozen or so myself at my home and I totally agree, they are NEVER the same.

I really believe it's just such a tough cut of meat that the age of the cow, how it's raised, fed, how it lives effects the cut and then, the results. You can cook a pile of shit for hours, but at the end, guess what you're left with!

I would actually love to find a fresh source and consistent breed or i guess I mean same breed?? And try them that way to see if they're more consistent, rather than just buying one from the store. See how they would turn out.

I agree. They're done when they're done.
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

Yendor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 10:53:15 AM »
I think any chunk of meat can have its issues. I've had butts that took a long time and even last night. I did a wild turkey for my neighbor. It spent 6 hours on my pellet smoker at 250°!!! It should have taken 2-3 hours based on all the online research! Thankfully it wasn't a dry mass at the end of the day. From my point of view any meat can have its days. I have the number to our local pizza joint just for those times.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 01:50:24 PM »
Based on my cooking experience since joining KCBS, I agree 110% @DarrenC.   While all four meats can vary a little from week to week, I think that briskets are the one that can have the widest swing - assuming that other factors are the same, i.e,; lbs., cooking temp, etc.

My local Restaurant Depot is now carrying Black Angus briskets and I'm starting to use those in the hopes that I might get a little more consistency.  Haven't been able to spring for Snake River Farms yet ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

BariB523

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 08:08:40 AM »
Based on my cooking experience since joining KCBS, I agree 110% @DarrenC.   While all four meats can vary a little from week to week, I think that briskets are the one that can have the widest swing - assuming that other factors are the same, i.e,; lbs., cooking temp, etc.

My local Restaurant Depot is now carrying Black Angus briskets and I'm starting to use those in the hopes that I might get a little more consistency.  Haven't been able to spring for Snake River Farms yet ! ! !

BD
This may be slightly off topic but I'm cooking my first brisket on Saturday. What would be your top three do's or dont's? I got one from my job but I'm scared to muck it up.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 09:03:50 AM »

BD
This may be slightly off topic but I'm cooking my first brisket on Saturday. What would be your top three do's or dont's? I got one from my job but I'm scared to muck it up.

1) Separate the point and the flat  - you'll get more surface area and bark.  You'll cook faster too.

2) There are hotter 'quick cook' methods people talk about.  Don't confuse yourself with those right now.  Keep it simple and keep it between 225 and 250.

3) Trim the fat cap down to 1/4" or so.  You don't need that huge cap and this way it will make carving and plating much more pleasant.

4) Save me the burnt ends

EDITED TO ADD - I'm not going to debate foiling vs not foiling (Texas Crutch).  Do what you like but I will say that in my house it's all about the bark, and the bark without the foil is FAR superior to that which has been foiled.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 09:06:45 AM by DarrenC »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 10:41:32 AM »
@BariB523

I don't do a lot of them, but cook @ 260-275 & they seem to go OK....

Here's a couple kettle cookups with some info that may help....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/ok-finally-brisket/msg72790/#msg72790

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/brisket-prawn/msg7491/#msg7491

Edit: and, oh yeah, they are irrational..... 8)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 10:44:29 AM by 1buckie »
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 11:00:13 AM »

BD

I wrap them up in butcher paper. I have tried foiling it, and got "soggy bark". I've tried no wrap, and got a good bark with an extremely beefy, smoke flavor. I've tried mopping and no wrap. This works good, but will make a mess. Finally, the last couple of cooks, I've wrapped in butcher paper once I've gotten the color and texture I'm pleased with.

Just remember, start with a good product will end with a good product. Good luck! I'm sure it will turn out great!

BariB523

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2016, 12:05:35 AM »

BD

1) Separate the point and the flat  - you'll get more surface area and bark.  You'll cook faster too.

2) There are hotter 'quick cook' methods people talk about.  Don't confuse yourself with those right now.  Keep it simple and keep it between 225 and 250.

3) Trim the fat cap down to 1/4" or so.  You don't need that huge cap and this way it will make carving and plating much more pleasant.

4) Save me the burnt ends

EDITED TO ADD - I'm not going to debate foiling vs not foiling (Texas Crutch).  Do what you like but I will say that in my house it's all about the bark, and the bark without the foil is FAR superior to that which has been foiled.
Thanks for the tips but I need those burnt ends!! Lol.

BariB523

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2016, 12:06:34 AM »
@BariB523

I don't do a lot of them, but cook @ 260-275 & they seem to go OK....

Here's a couple kettle cookups with some info that may help....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/ok-finally-brisket/msg72790/#msg72790

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/brisket-prawn/msg7491/#msg7491

Edit: and, oh yeah, they are irrational..... 8)
I think I'm doing it on my 18 inch WSM. Do you think on a kettle would be better?

BariB523

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2016, 12:07:48 AM »

BD

I wrap them up in butcher paper. I have tried foiling it, and got "soggy bark". I've tried no wrap, and got a good bark with an extremely beefy, smoke flavor. I've tried mopping and no wrap. This works good, but will make a mess. Finally, the last couple of cooks, I've wrapped in butcher paper once I've gotten the color and texture I'm pleased with.

Just remember, start with a good product will end with a good product. Good luck! I'm sure it will turn out great!

I work at Sysco and I was thinking of getting a Snake River Farms product but I'm scared to find out the price lol