Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What causes this?  (Read 4186 times)

Kneab

• WKC Performer
What causes this?
« on: July 25, 2016, 07:17:31 PM »
I had this kettle given to me. It's an 87 one touch brownie. I was wondering what causes damage like this?
I am guessing that it was filled with snow or water at some point in its life and froze solid pulling the grate hooks inward causing dents on the outside 3/16" deep where all 8 welds are.

addicted to charcoal...
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

TexasOnion

• WKC Ranger
Re: What causes this?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 07:27:28 PM »
I would think the opposite  with coal being banked against the welded spots   making them pop the porcelain

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 07:31:14 PM »
If the bowl is dented in, then it could have been due to a "tip over".
If the bowl is not dented, then probably from banking coals up against the side as stated above.

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 07:33:33 PM »
coal being banked against the welded spots making them pop the porcelain

I think this is the generally agreed on cause.
It is also believed that colored kettles were more susceptible to this than the blacks for whatever reason.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 08:03:12 PM »
It seems dented all 8 spots. Both bowl handles are bent. And all wood and ash sweeps missing.

addicted to charcoal...

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
What causes this?
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 08:14:37 PM »
I've noticed that this happens to kettles that sit out, uncovered, with a lot of ash left inside. My theory is that the ash gets under the straps & against the spot welds. Ash holds any moisture it comes in contact with. Starts rusting the welds & then back of straps. They pull away from bowl over time, causing the dimples.

Edit: The straps are spot welded to bowl before porcelain coating, so I imagine that some of that metal is bare underneath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 08:57:09 PM by brewtownbeatdown »
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 08:34:58 PM »
That makes sense. Straps seem a little rusty compared to my other kettles. My 83 one touch is in much better shape. No rusty straps and no bowl dents. Definitely abused.

addicted to charcoal
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 08:37:07 PM »
That also explains why the lid looks so much better than the bowl. The lid looks good. No ash collection there.

addicted to charcoal
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 08:40:29 PM by Kneab »
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 09:04:13 PM »
It is also believed that colored kettles were more susceptible to this than the blacks for whatever reason.

I wonder if the black kettles were dipped in a porcelain bath, while the color kettles were sprayed with the porcelain.  Spraying would not allow full coverage under strap like dipping would.  ???????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 09:44:15 PM »
it comes from heating and cooling.

doesn't matter if its old or new or where the coals are banked.

The metal of the bowl expands as it heats up, and contracts as it cools.
The welds points are prone to damage because:
- the weld itself expands and contracts differently than the bowl
- the weld & strap can act as an insulator, or as a conductor - slowing down, or speeding up the heating and expanding of the metal of the bowl where its welded. (I'm referring to both scenarios because I'm not sure which is more common)

It's often theorized that black kettles are more durable, but in reality they're probably just better at hiding the damage
(that and no one pays attention to the black kettles)

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 12:15:08 AM »
(that and no one pays attention to the black kettles)

I'll pretend you didn't just say that.  >:(
Retired

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016, 02:17:32 AM »
I pay attention to black kettles. All but one of mine are or were black.

addicted to charcoal

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2016, 04:56:57 AM »
In my opinion the dimples/dents and chips on the out side are caused by grease and ash building up between the strap & bowl, especially above and below the spot welds where the straps tend to be bent inwards. Every time the kettle is heated more gunk gets in there and carbonized then when it cools somethings gotta give causing the dents (very slowly over time).

I have had to remove this gunk on several kettles and its always a bastard to remove because its stuck in there and hard as a rock.

There are other contributing factors that have already been mentioned but I think the "seasoning" build up is the most likely culprit.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2016, 10:52:51 AM »
I would think that any place with welds are going to be weak spots.  I still don't buy into the theory of banking coals leading to damage.  I've had my grill screaming hot plenty of times and have not seen any signs of damage.  Weber kettles are cured somewhere over 1000 degrees and I think its more like 1200-1400, someone I am sure will post the exact temp.  When I get temps over 1000 degrees, it is above a ton of coals usually with my vortex or SNS, but never directly where coals would be touching the kettle.  The next time I have my grill really cranking with coals against the kettle I'll get out my IR thermo and see what kind of temps the outside of the kettle are showing....willing to bet is won't be more than 500 degrees.  Maybe I will prove myself wrong.

Additional things that could lead to the damage at the weld spots....tossing something heavy on the grate thus putting quick pressure on the grate tabs.....putting a grate in wrong getting part of the grate caught under a tab then pulling too hard to get it back in the correct placement.....on the older grills, a bad welding job.......kettles not properly cleaned after welding prior to painting/porcelain....etc....so many possibilities.

I just got an A code 18 that is in mint condition but it has dimples at the weld spots that my new grills don't have.  I would think those dimples alone would cause the porcelain to eventually pop after years of expansion and contraction.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2016, 11:48:29 AM »
@Troy

"...no one pays attention to the black kettles..."
[emoji47]

[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

A bunch of black kettles
-JC