Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pat Pending MT?  (Read 4073 times)

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: Pat Pending MT?
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2016, 12:01:37 PM »
Weren't the ones without the ashpot and ring called One Touch Plus?
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Cellar2ful

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2016, 04:03:49 PM »
Weren't the ones without the ashpot and ring called One Touch Plus?

Went back and read the Master Touch History link and you are correct. This kettle in 1990 was a precursor to the Master Touch. The Master Touch was introduced in 1992 so this kettle is a One Touch Plus.  :-[

When I get through with the restoration, it will be upgraded to a MT.  ;)  Thank you for the clarification.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Cellar2ful

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2016, 02:39:16 PM »

I finally found time to finish this project. The legs, triangle and lid bail cleaned up nicely. It also got new wheels, ash sweep assembly and I added a ash bucket.  It will be a cooker, joining my redhead  MT which I purchased new in 1999. Quite a difference compared to the pictures I posted at the beginning of this thread.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2016, 03:01:44 PM »
Absolutely beautiful, Jim! What kind of wood are the handles made of? I've got to say, those are stunning. Great job again!! You're going to have to give us a family shot!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2016, 03:13:24 PM »
Very nice job. The legs are fantastic.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2016, 03:22:16 PM »
What a transformation!  I could never get the legs and the ash bucket that clean. We both have Red and Blue with one being Pet. Pending. :)

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2016, 03:22:57 PM »
Beautiful kettle. Great job restoring it.

Those cedar handles paired with a blue kettle look amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2016, 04:40:28 PM »
Good job, nice kettle.
May The Smoke Be With You!

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2016, 04:58:19 PM »
Damn! That looks fantastic.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2016, 06:58:41 AM »
As I mentioned when I started this thread, this was a CL freebee.  My original intent was to clean this kettle up and resell it on CL. After talking with the woman that gave it away and hearing her disappointment that her son did not want the Weber, I decided to keep it. I sent her pictures of the finished restoration and here's her response I received last night:

"Jim, you really like Webers!  I owned the blue Weber for 20-25 years and taught my son how to bar-b-que on it (he's now 29).  It makes me happy to see it refurbished and know it has a good home.  Thanks so much for sharing the photos!"     Marcie

Interesting how a Weber can spread happiness in so many ways.

@Travis - The handles are high figured cedar by Brian (Zav).  I am working on a "family" picture of my kettles.

@greenweb - It is not that hard to get the legs looking like this.  The legs took about 3 hours total.  It is a 5 step process.  Sand with coarse, then medium, fine, #0000 steel wool and finish with Mother's aluminum and mag polish. I am waiting delivery on a new polishing product that @zavod44 recommended. It is a commercial aircraft aluminum polish - Rolite Supra 90.  Brian says it cuts the polish time way down.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2016, 12:22:52 PM »

I was lucky, installing the ash bucket I only had to drill and screw one tab into the leg and socket.   The other two leg sockets lined up perfectly to accept the tabs of the ash ring.

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2016, 06:51:09 PM »

Yep @greenweb, your post is the one I was referring to and now remember it well.   So that makes the stamped thermometer housing year span 1990 to 1996 of both MT and SSP's. With your 1998 not being stamped @haeffb, Weber must have stopped stamping them in either 97 or 98.

I just picked up a EI 1997 Red Master Touch a couple days ago and there is NO Pat Pending on the Therm Bezil. I am currently working on the restore, piks later.

Nice job on that one, handles look great!

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2016, 06:53:07 PM »
I forgot to mention, my leg sockets are the same as yours, the 2 toward the lid bale are lined up to accept the new ash bucket ring while the 1 towards the front leg is offset