Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Sous vide and sear NY Strip for lunch.  (Read 1723 times)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Sous vide and sear NY Strip for lunch.
« on: July 21, 2016, 12:13:20 PM »
Marinated NY Strip, sous vide for an hour an 15 minutes at 129, then seared with my new searing grate.  Freaking amazing!!!!

Special thanks to @jcnaz for giving a great deal on an extra searing grate that he had laying around.  It works great!

Marinade recipe

After marinade and sous vide, I hit it with some Season Salt, Garlic Powder, and onion powder then seared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 12:16:08 PM by MikeRocksTheRed »
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Sous vide and sear NY Strip for lunch.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 12:32:12 PM »
Now I'm drooling, Mike! Hey, did you just start using the SV or have I missed other times you've used it. One day, I'm gonna get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 12:34:17 PM »
This is my second sous vide cook.  Picked it up on Amazon Prime day.  Wasn't happy with my first cook.  Ran steaks at 131 or 132 and left them in for three hours.  129 and a little over an hour is where it's at.   First could could have been a bad steak too.  That doesn't happen as much these days but is always a possibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 01:03:58 PM »
Nicely done!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 01:13:56 PM »
Now that looks perfect! I have never made or tasted a Sous Vide anything but it sure looks good. How is the flavor compared to totally cook over charcoal?
May The Smoke Be With You!

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 03:20:02 PM »
Looks awesome as always!  Nice cook!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 03:38:18 PM »
Nice cook!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 03:40:31 PM »
Now that looks perfect! I have never made or tasted a Sous Vide anything but it sure looks good. How is the flavor compared to totally cook over charcoal?

Since I was able to get some really good sear marks on the steak I would say it didn't taste too different from doing the entire cook on the grill.   Maybe a little less smokey, but how much smoke is a steak really going to absorb in a 20-30 minute reverse sear?

Plus I would never have time to reverse sear a steak during lunch while working from home...with Sous Vide, you put it in the water for at least an hour, and if you get side tracked for 2 hours it is still at the exact right temp....just throw it on the grill to sear at any point after an hour.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 03:42:54 PM »
To add to my previous comment, if you were doing burgers and people were going to be arriving at seperate times, you would just pull burgers out of the water bath when you are ready to fire one off and it would be ready in 2 minutes for eating!  If someone wants it a little more done, put it indirect a few minutes then sear.

Ted_IL

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 04:19:56 PM »
MikeRocksTheRed........

You said, "Marinated NY Strip, sous vide for an hour an 15 minutes at 129, then seared with my new searing grate."   

Forgive me I am new here if I am asking the obvious- just trying to get your method clear in my mind.

Does this mean you seasoned the meat, sealed it by vacuum and then soaked it in 129* water for an hour and 15 minutes?

Thanks so much.....ted

Ted_IL

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 04:30:37 PM »
I found this video and it really helped me understand.  Would you guys recommend this particular device?   

https://youtu.be/MtVcLndsepI