Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First cook on southwest disc ( fajitas )  (Read 2327 times)

cumminfourya

• WKC Ranger
First cook on southwest disc ( fajitas )
« on: July 22, 2016, 05:10:14 PM »
So I've been wanting a wok but just couldn't find anything that I really liked. Came across this southwest disc and seemed to be the best thing I could come up with. I seen some post on here about them and found very good reviews. What I liked about this is it would fit right over my 22" kettle with no mods. So I ordered one on Monday afternoon and received it on Wednesday ( was very impressed with how fast I got it ) and could not wait to use it. So tonight I decided first cook would be fajitas. Nothing fancy just some peppers, onion, and chicken with a little seasoning. Put about 15 lit coals on top of some unlit used coals and that was more than enough to get it to a perfect cooking temp. Little olive oil in the bottom and on went peppers and onions for about 5 mins.  Then chicken for about 5 or 10 min and then stirred it all together. Turned out fantastic. Was very impressed with how they turned out, but most of all extremely impressed with how this disc performed. It heats up quick, cooks quick, and cleans up quick. And this thing is very heavy duty and will last a very long time I'm sure. Here's a few pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maxmbob

• WKC Ranger
Re: First cook on southwest disc ( fajitas )
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 05:13:50 PM »
Looks good @cumminfourya . Thanks for the review.
WTB, Westerner, glen blue,

Matt_T

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 07:32:12 PM »
That pan looks like a winner. Great cook. Keep us posted on future cooks using that thing - you have my attention.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Keep it simple stupid

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 08:43:15 PM »
@cumminfourya, I have a question, It looks as though it almost "seals" around the rim, it does allow the coals to "breath"? I have been looking at buying a stainless steel comal to use on top of my kettle, will have to look into this disk now. Please keep us informed with more cooks. Thanks.
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 09:21:27 PM »
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 10:07:44 PM »
Very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

cumminfourya

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 05:32:04 AM »
@varekai yes it does allow it to breath. Very good actually. Where the handles are on the disc actually is where there's a good size gap from disc to kettle. I have to say I think it lets more air escape than the lid vent would all the way open.

Yes @addicted-to-smoke that was site I bought mine from. They also make a 24" looks like it's a little different shape and guessing mods would be needed for air flow.

ChunkStyle

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2020, 06:47:07 AM »
@cumminfourya I've been looking at buying a disk from these folks too. Did you have to make any mods or are the disk handles supporting the disk on the kettle as is? Also, what are your long term thoughts, how's it holding up?

cumminfourya

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2020, 07:45:26 AM »
@cumminfourya I've been looking at buying a disk from these folks too. Did you have to make any mods or are the disk handles supporting the disk on the kettle as is? Also, what are your long term thoughts, how's it holding up?
No mods needed, the handles support it perfect. Honestly I used the hell out of it for about a year and it held up great. Now it just collects dust since I got a Blackstone on clearance a while back. I actually need to get it out and use it, it’s a fun accessory!!!

ChunkStyle

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2020, 03:07:44 PM »
@cumminfourya Thank for your reply! I'm ordering my 22" disk today! I've looked at the Blackstone also, just don't have the room for it right now so I'm looking forward to cooking on the Southwest Disk soon. Thanks again!

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2020, 06:27:18 PM »
I love that you heat it with coals. I do the same. Folks think I'm nutty cause it's supposed to be gas fired...Nonsense...