Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Left for Dead '07 Green Genesis EP-320  (Read 3563 times)

crumbsnatcher

• WKC Ranger
Left for Dead '07 Green Genesis EP-320
« on: April 08, 2017, 07:17:47 PM »
I love it when people throw out a perfectly working Weber. In my case, it was an '07 green Genesis EP-320 that I stumbled upon on CL. Owner was moving and didn't want to take it to the new house. I could tell the grill was neglected for 10yrs nor has it ever been cleaned because the grease tray was filled to the top with old carbonized grease.  Even found an old hornets nest underneath the side table. The ceramic flavorizer bars were rotted and the igniter was dead but the rest of the grill was in decent shape. The grill was never covered so there was light rusting on the side tables and frame. The inside of the cart had the worst rusting but overall the grill was still worth restoring.  A couple cans of foaming Simple Green BBQ cleaner & some elbow grease and the grill was looking really good again. A new igniter kit and a set of rcplanebuyer 16g 304 SS flavorizer bars was all that I needed to get this Weber back in business. The door magnets are rusted so the doors won't stay shut, but it'll do just fine for now.  This is really well built grill and insanely heavy too.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 07:20:48 PM by crumbsnatcher »

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Re: Left for Dead '07 Green Genesis EP-320
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 05:02:29 AM »
Nice work on bringing that genie back to life.  I, too, occasionally see these types of CL freebies and grab them up for the parts.

RSHU

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 08:24:04 AM »
Nice score! I love my 2007 Genesis.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 12:09:13 PM by RSHU »

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 10:18:59 AM »
great work, man.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 10:59:41 AM »
I'm not a gasser, butt that wood change my mind for sure! Nice job!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 04:38:46 PM »
Nice grab and great job cleaning it up.   On those models, I'd take an extra close look at the lower frame and do whatever I could to fight/prevent rust.   Can't tell you how many of those I have seen where everything up above is in great shape, but the lower cabinet is just rusted all to hell. 

Jet300

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 05:30:21 PM »
What's the consensus on this generation of gassers? I have two Genny 1000 red heads and two Gold C's, one of which stays on my deck for the occasional use.  I primarily use the kettles now, but I wouldnt mind picking up a copper one to match my Performer. 

This style with the east-west burners seems to be just the same as the ones I have already.  Are the newer north-south versions any better? Are the older ones built any better than the north-south versions?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 06:02:35 PM »
What's the consensus on this generation of gassers? I have two Genny 1000 red heads and two Gold C's, one of which stays on my deck for the occasional use.  I primarily use the kettles now, but I wouldnt mind picking up a copper one to match my Performer. 

This style with the east-west burners seems to be just the same as the ones I have already.  Are the newer north-south versions any better? Are the older ones built any better than the north-south versions?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Not to rain on a parade, but I'm not a big fan of this model/generation.    There's something about the look of it that's just off putting to me, plus I don't think the quality is there compared to older models.    The newer models with N/S burners look better to me, but quality issues arise with them as well.    Basically, the carts on these later generation models suck and will rust out.    I have a Genny Gold C that has sat outside uncovered in my back yard for more than 15 years and there isn't a spot of rust anywhere on the frame. 

As to N/S vs E/W burners, it's personal choice.  Some who use the rotisserie a lot swear by the E/W setup and it makes sense.  For indirect cooking, it's a mixed bag.  Some say E/W is best for that while I tend to think that N/S is better.

Your Genny 1000's have the deeper firebox and 13 bars, and many swear that this is still the best version of the Genny's that Weber ever made.   Very even heat distribution with almost no flare ups (if properly maintained.)    Plus, they look more "Retro" than the Silver/Gold  A/B/C generations.

crumbsnatcher

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 05:32:36 AM »
The lower cabinet side panels and floor are definitely the downfall of this generation of Genesis.  Looks like cheaper materials used and paint job didn't seal the metal very well. The previous owner didn't cover the grill so I can see rusting on he side panels and pretty bad pitting on inside floor panel.  I have a Spirit sp-310 that I bought new in 2005 and the cabinet panels are in tip top shape w/o any rust because it's been covered for 12+yrs when not in use.  I'm sure this Genesis would be In the same condition had the prev owner taken better care of the grill. Overal, the unit is really well built and massively heavy.  The frame is very well designed and put together just like my spirit so-310.

Easy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 02:50:08 PM »
I have a 07 S310 and it had some corrosion on the lower and back panel. I bought POR-15 from Bezo and sanded them down to metal were they were corroded, and just ruff sanded the rest. I used the surface prep then painted the POR-15 let dry then I covered all areas with a silver paint to match the rest of the psnels. That 3 years ago and problems sonce.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app