Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: $20 Flat-Top 26er  (Read 2723 times)

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
$20 Flat-Top 26er
« on: July 19, 2016, 06:40:42 PM »
Hey fellas I snagged this J code 26er the other night for $20. Pretty stoked! Grates are decent. Leg sockets are good. But it's got it's issues for sure. No original bowl handles. Bent lid handle. Rim of the lid has some dings, bends, etc. No ash pan. Sweeps need replacing. Modified front leg that still leaves it leaning. The worst is that the bowl is pretty seriously out of round. Any help on all of the above would be great. But especially advice on the bowl is appreciated. I gave it the hug treatment but let up when I heard the terrible porcelain stressing sound. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Growing family = growing kettles!

Darko

• WKC Performer
Re: $20 Flat-Top 26er
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 07:08:43 PM »
It already has ring rash.  A few more dings ain't gonna hurt. Fix it as best you can, and then cook on it.

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 07:26:20 PM »
Yes awesome cooker right there.
May The Smoke Be With You!

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 11:14:20 PM »
Nice grab Will. I saw that on OfferUp and glad it landed in the club. I'm sure it'll be a great cooker once you get it straightened out. Congrats 

8)
drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 11:17:12 PM »
You might need to use a different kind of muscle for that, it looks like one side is pushed in.

do you have a big spreader clamp or an old car jack or something?

also, helluva score for $20!!

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 05:55:08 AM »
You might need to use a different kind of muscle for that, it looks like one side is pushed in.

do you have a big spreader clamp or an old car jack or something?

also, helluva score for $20!!

Troy, you might be on to something there. One side is definitely pushed in. It's crazy noticeable. I'll get a good shot of it before I work in earnest to get back into round. It's just too big to really wrap my arms around securely like on a 22, so a spreader or jack is a great idea.

And it's most definitely going to be an awesome cooker! If I'm not mistaken I can still but a disk ash pan for this right? And the sweeps are the same as the current model, correct?

Cellar2ful

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 06:36:21 AM »

@Saugust  -  Try whacking it with a rubber mallet.  Straight arm the opposite side from the pushed in side with your weak hand. Then with your strong hand, whack the inside of the bowl at the pushed in point. If you have not used a rubber mallet on a kettle before, your first strikes will be tentative. Work up to harder strikes. Just make sure you are striking at the top, right near the rolled edge.  It  should force the bend outward. This method has worked for me on bowls that had similar issues.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 07:38:39 AM »
@Cellar2ful  Good call on the rubber mallet. I'll use any means necessary!

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 08:42:30 AM »
I am so jealous of these finds you folks post!  Here in Canada I'm not sure I have ever seen even one kettle sitting out at any of the hundreds of yard sales I've gone past over the years.  Maybe that's a good thing - I tend to get a little compulsive...
"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 10:16:40 AM »
I am so jealous of these finds you folks post!  Here in Canada I'm not sure I have ever seen even one kettle sitting out at any of the hundreds of yard sales I've gone past over the years.  Maybe that's a good thing - I tend to get a little compulsive...

Haha! Yes, well the abundance led to an over-stuffed garage pretty quickly. But I've since been able to control myself . . . a little. I couldn't pass up a $20 26.75, even if it needs some work.

Peaspurple

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2016, 05:06:49 PM »
That's an amazing find. It'll cook great even with the funky handles.
A Wonderful Family!!!

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2016, 05:02:09 AM »
That's an amazing find. It'll cook great even with the funky handles.

You're definitely right. But, actually, that bowl handle is the only one. It looks like they might have done something similar on the other side, but now it's just two holes. I'll have to figure something out. What does everyone else do to replace lost bowl handles?

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2016, 05:21:12 AM »
Congrats on the pickup. 

As for handles, I'd say find a donor kettle or you could always go with the fireplace handles: http://www.ereplacementparts.com/handle-fireplace-p-1475698.html
Wanted: Burgundy 18"