Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: instant read thermometer  (Read 3015 times)

jd

• WKC Brave
instant read thermometer
« on: July 19, 2016, 05:38:07 AM »
what is your favorite and why? thanks
22.5 Copper kettle
Blue Performer
Copper Performer

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
Re: instant read thermometer
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 05:55:33 AM »
Thermapen, super fast and accurate. Retails for $79 for the classic version up to around $90 for the MK4 version. They run open box sales on thermapens quite frequently.

http://www.thermoworks.com/Classic-Thermapen

http://www.thermoworks.com/Thermapen-Mk4
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 08:26:52 AM »
Thermapen is your best choice.
Last year they had a pretty big sale at the end of July, I bet they do it again soon.

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 08:33:39 AM »
I use the weber6492 for checking get internals 2hen my maverick is busy in the ssp...

Works for me...
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 09:27:21 AM »
I use Lavatools Jevelin instant read.  It takes a few seconds to reach final temperature.  I went from just using my maverick probes to this thermo and have no complaints.  It is within 2 degrees in 1-2 seconds, then takes another 1-2 to get accurate within a tenth of a degree.  I think its a good bang for the buck. It's $25.99 right now on Amazon Prime.

https://www.amazon.com/Lavatools-Javelin-Digital-Thermometer-Chipotle/dp/B00GRFHXVQ
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 10:17:27 AM »
I've used the Weber, then a Thermapop and now a Thermapen. Thermapen, hands down.
Still need a 22” yellow

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 11:02:18 AM »
I use a Javelin.  Super-fast.  Don't think I've ever waited even 5 full seconds for an accurate read.  Also love that it automatically turns on when you fold it out and turns off again when you fold it up.  Same battery for years.
"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 03:47:56 PM »
Thermapen owns the market.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 04:10:11 PM »

Thermapen.   For remote temperatures while cooking I use a 6 year old Maverick ET Redi Check ET71.    It gives me a ballpark idea of what the internal temperatures are.  Then I use the Thermapen for exact and accurate internal temps. Reason I like the Thermapen is it gives immediate and accurate readings.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2016, 04:25:25 PM »
I like my Thermapop fine, but would like to try out a Thermapen. Can you guys with the Thermapop and Thermapen give a little comparison? Thanks

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2016, 04:27:40 PM »
I use the Maverick ET-733 for pit and meat and the Weber for spot checks,
But the Thermapen MK-4 is on my wish list and when I get it, I'm passing
the Weber on to a buddy that I just helped get his first kettle with roti off
Craigslist in June
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

jd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2016, 05:44:32 PM »
Thank you all for your time, I just missed the open box sale for the thermapen  so I ordered one any way thanks again for the advice
22.5 Copper kettle
Blue Performer
Copper Performer

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2016, 07:36:59 PM »
Thermapen. Fast and accurate.
May The Smoke Be With You!

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2016, 10:13:16 AM »
@AZ Monsoon I have both. The pen is noticeably faster. The Pop still gets used to probe for tenderness, but rarely gets turned on anymore.
Still need a 22” yellow

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2016, 07:02:25 AM »
Thermapen Mk4 is on sale for the next 48 hours.  Get it for $79 (same price as the thermapen classic).

I bought the Mk4 a month ago as a birthday present for one of my friends.  I can tell you that it is a clear improvement over the thermapen classic (I have 3).  If you were ever thinking about taking the plunge, this would be a good time to do it.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.