Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Killa Grilla 22.5" SS cooking grate  (Read 7888 times)

Cellar2ful

Re: Killa Grilla 22.5" SS cooking grate
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2017, 06:12:22 AM »

@Joetee- Did you email him? (bellexinc@msn.com)  The owner, Mark, is real good in responding. I would expect you will receive a response before the end of today. I have 2 of the Killa Grilla SS grates.  Big Fan. Here is my review of the Killa Grilla grate.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/product-reviews/killagrilla-heavy-duty-flip-up-grates-(304-ss)/msg269510/#msg269510
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2017, 06:23:16 AM »
FYI - I sent him a note to ask about a 26.75 size to use with the Slow 'N Sear XL. Basically a non-hinged grate with a wide opening on one side. I'm thinking it could still do double duty by rotating the grate, but for those long cooks when you're not planning to sear, why not have it wide open and accessible? I'll report back when I hear from him.
Retired

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2017, 06:50:37 AM »
FYI - I sent him a note to ask about a 26.75 size to use with the Slow 'N Sear XL. Basically a non-hinged grate with a wide opening on one side. I'm thinking it could still do double duty by rotating the grate, but for those long cooks when you're not planning to sear, why not have it wide open and accessible? I'll report back when I hear from him.
That is a grate idea I would to have something like that
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Cellar2ful

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2017, 06:56:37 AM »

@56MPG- He makes a grate like you describe for use with a Slow'N Sear in 22" size. Here is the one I have. I don't see them listed on his website. I know he had plans to make grates for 26". @JEBIV- Send Mark an email. Pretty sure if he has several people asking for a product he will produce it.

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2017, 07:05:55 AM »
I left him a note in the commits section of his web page. I give him some time. It's not like I need it tomorrow. LOL

Sent from my SM-G920V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2017, 11:24:56 AM »
No dice. He got back and said thanks, but they don't make one like that. I need one for the 26er, but good to know he makes one like it (or did) for the 22.5.
Retired

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2017, 02:16:28 PM »
67 cheaper tha  weber ss grates?  They currently run 65 thru weber...+ shipping etc....

When someone orders this TN can you report back with digital caliper measurement...

Ill .easure my weber oem ss grates soon and post back on current thickness....

I use my flipup grates too often to go without the flipup option.
Grills

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
Re: Kills Grilla 22.5" SS cooking grate
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2017, 04:09:33 PM »
This is a nice SS option.  It's pretty much identical to Weber's hinged grate but is made of 304 SS.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F6FEXNS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nice, a more reasonable alternative to the Weber 80728 SS grate.  On a side note, the supposedly-stainless-steel Grill Care 17436 has disappeared from Amazon.  Searching for that part points to the regular Weber 7436 plated grate

there is another mnu ss grate selling on amazon.. a little more expensive.. think its around 40 bucks.. pretty sure it had the flip up grates.. i think that this new manu on amazon is marketing 304 grade ss

304 grade is the rated as commercially the most non corrosive ss in mass production.. of course there are specialty ss which is more non corrosive.. but then you are working with metal which would not be available for grill grates..

400 series ss is also very very good.. i wouldn't be concerned with using 400 series ss grade..

either would probably outlast all of us...
Grills

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2017, 08:21:53 AM »
Ok... Looks like a real nice grill but for $75? Is it a little over kill? Or am I gonna kick myself later on for not buying it now?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Cellar2ful

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2017, 09:58:11 AM »

@Joetee- I have no regrets on purchasing the Killa Grilla SS grate. I love the heavy sear marks they produce as opposed to standard or gourmet grates. I can tell you that a couple of other WKC members have seen my grate in person and said they plan on purchasing one for themselves. The pictures do not do them justice.  Weber installs the thicker 9 mm SS grates on their most expensive Summit series grills for a reason.

Meat_smoke_repeat

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2017, 11:49:44 AM »
Wish he would make 26" grates...

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2017, 04:41:33 PM »
grates are like fuel.. either you have a taste for the more expensive ones or dont...

but the 1 diff with ss grates is longevity.. going the cheaper route, we all know the zinc coated lasted 2/ 3 years.. maybe longer if you really care for them..but they will zinc out and rust.. or if you keep them heavily seasoned with black grease coating..they can last longer if you are okay with that coating.

i personally have a taste for ss everything.. longevity and not having to clean/ or rebuy grates is a big value for me.

i dont have these grates, but do have the weber oem ss grates and paid a pretty nickel for them.. but they will pay themselves back in due time, with not having to replace the zinc coated one..

im currently in the market for craycorts this season as well.

i currently have all the grills im looking to keep/ keep as cookers and having taken a break on grill buying, now ive been buying playing with accessories.

if you want ss grates but dont want to be in the $70 range. which weber oem ss models or the one being discussed here..

check amazon for that $40 option..its marketed as 304 staineless steel and has the flip sides.. in case you continually move your bins, like i do. for indirect/ direct cook methods.
Grills