Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Spark + gas = no flame?  (Read 2097 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Spark + gas = no flame?
« on: June 18, 2016, 03:53:20 PM »
Rebuilt most of my brother-in-law's SSP a few days ago. Only lights with a match held to the burner tube ... flame looks great. Best I've seen on any Performer. I had totally cleaned it out.

New push switch but still with the old igniter ... I see what seems to be a good spark inside, but it doesn't light up the gas. I saw an older thread where someone has adjusted the igniter to not stick into the tube as far and that fixed it, but didn't have time to try it. Don't even know why that might help.

Regulator?
Igniter?

I cleaned the igniter tip. I scraped clean the ground wire and used a new screw there.

Thanks for any ideas!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

DonoBBQ

• WKC Brave
Re: Spark + gas = no flame?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 04:04:50 PM »
Are you sure the tube is clear of debris? I had a similar issue and found that I had plenty of spark outside the tube but when mounted didn't spark as much or inconsistent.  If it lights with a match then your problem isn't regulator.  I would retrace your steps and check connections

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Too many grills and too little time! Looking for a  BLUE GENESIS GASSER! Will pay a bounty!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 04:34:09 PM »
Tube seems fine. I could see pretty well in there after cleaning it out (I removed it.) The spark is likely 1/4" long at least. And like I said the flame is really strong, with good pattern.

When I get home I'll look at mine and try to determine if it's spark is noticeably stronger from I remember his to be.

I will concede I don't like the ground connection totally. I replaced it with SS and had to tap new threads ... got tight but not tight enough to completely stop the screw. But the wire's ring connector does not move; it's not loose.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

DonoBBQ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 06:11:14 PM »
Yeah it's gotta be the connection,  retrace your steps and good luck!

Too many grills and too little time! Looking for a  BLUE GENESIS GASSER! Will pay a bounty!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 10:45:30 PM »
New push switch but still with the old igniter ... I see what seems to be a good spark inside, but it doesn't light up the gas.

Are you actually seeing the spark inside the tube or are you simulating the spark outside of the tube? Your issue sounds like a spark problem. Clean out the ground wire connections and the inside of the tube. You can push some sandpaper or steel wool through and make sure it pops out clean before replacing it and trying again.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 09:52:51 AM »
As stated, the spark is seen inside the tube. I was looking into the end of it while the gas line is removed. But maybe the spark is "weak."

The inside of the tube is clear. The ground wire was removed, cleaned with sandpaper etc and secured with a new screw.

I know there's only really two things it could be, electrical or gas flow. Independently they both seem fine but aren't.

I'll get a new burner tube assembly since that setup is questionable and a new sparker comes preinstalled in it. If that doesn't fix it I'll have gained a spare tube since I think the one on mine has started to split at the end.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 11:00:24 AM »
It might be that you have to make sure that the spark is right in line with the flow of the gas.  I ran into a similar problem last weekend with my Camp Chef stove.  It has 3 of the round burners and I could see the spark going from the electrode to the burner.  Thing wouldn't light.  I wiggled the electrode so that the spark went right over one of the holes in the burner and Whoomp, it it lit right up.  For that setup, just having the spark in close proximity wasn't enough.

Thinking about it now, this might be why Weber gassers have the rectangular gas collection box that the electrode runs into.  Instead of needing pinpoint accuracy, that box pools the gas so that the spark will ignite it.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 11:47:46 AM »
You are in a right direction. New burner Tube assembly should resolve the issue. After that is very small chance it could be faulty regulator.  Here is why I think this is so.  Anytime you have good spark+gas flow+ oxygen should give you flame.

You already confirmed spark and good gas flow.  Most likely issue is that  your spark is weak or not enough concentrated gas present when spark happens due to open tube (rusty tube) or not positioned correctly as demosthenes9 said, or weak gas flow due to faulty regulator or even low gas in the tank.  It maybe simple as changing the tank.

But I am betting that new burner tube assembly should do the trick due to new sparker unless you had bad tube assy. to begin with.  Good luck!

« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 11:51:30 AM by greenweb »

DonoBBQ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2016, 02:00:57 PM »
You did state it starts with a match and there's a bigger flame than your used to seeing from a performer. Maybe try turning the valve down and lighting it.  If too much fuel is going through the pipe and not enough oxygen that could be your issue. Just a thought,  if that's the case then it would be a regulator issue. I actually been thinking about this since yesterday! Lol!

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2016, 02:43:46 PM »
You did state it starts with a match and there's a bigger flame than your used to seeing from a performer. Maybe try turning the valve down and lighting it.  If too much fuel is going through the pipe and not enough oxygen that could be your issue. Just a thought,  if that's the case then it would be a regulator issue. I actually been thinking about this since yesterday! Lol!

I second this.

Try adjusting the flow up or down.

I find it quick and simple to adjust the flow to optimize ignition and flame.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2016, 04:16:15 PM »
You guys are fantastic and have given me more to think about. In a practical sense, I'd have to show up in town with both new burner tube and regulator, and then just keep the old parts to futz around with later.