Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: WSM second time using it.  (Read 871 times)

RumBar

• WKC Brave
WSM second time using it.
« on: June 08, 2016, 08:23:13 AM »
Saturday's weather said only a sight chance of rain so I fired up the WSM outside rather than on the patio. I used kbb and pecan wood chunks.
Prepped the STL ribs and a small 2.5 pound brisket flat Friday night.

This is my first attempt at smoking ribs and my third at a brisket (the first two briskets turned out poorly, so this was to be my last attempt at it). 

Brisket and beans below.

The temp settled in around 240°. I added some poppers after two hours and a light sprinkle started.

The rain started around the 3 hour mark just as the brisket started to stall. The rain caused the WSM to drop as low as 205° before I opened the vents and an umbrella. At the 5 hour mark the temps finally settled back in. I didn't think it'd recoup from that but it came back around.

Pulled the ribs, poppers and beans around 6 hours in and left the brisket as it continued to stall. Other than missing the brisket for dinner everything turned out great. I must admit I was happy when our guests left because I knew the brisket would now be all mine, if it ever finished.

After 9 hours my little brisket topped out at 192°. Wrapped it in foil for a half hour, cut, sampled, sampled again and went to bed.

Other than the brisket taking 3 hours longer than I anticipated it was fantastic! I will certainly be trying it again.
The WSM worked great, but I was really surprised at the temp loss during the rain. Just proves that'll I'll have to cook on it much much more. I used no foil on this cook (other than the resting) and I was happy how it all turned out. I will say I was worried that I'd have huge chunk of jerky with brisket being on so long but it was very juicy and tender.
Thanks for looking.

●|||||||●
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 08:24:56 AM by RumBar »

Nate

• WKC Ranger
Re: WSM second time using it.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 08:36:27 AM »
That looks fantastic!!! Great smoke ring on the brisket!

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 08:58:00 AM »
Looks good dude. When I get a big temp loss like that sometimes I use the door and simply add some lit coals. I bet the volume of meat and them beans helped to keep things from drying out too.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
WSM second time using it.
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 09:25:17 AM »
Can you say bark/smoke ring! Good deal not giving up and trying  the brisket again. It's been a while since I've done. After looking at yours I think I need to break down and have a cookout!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 10:39:12 AM by Travis »

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 11:41:15 AM »
Both cooks look like they came out great.  I'd be happy with a plate of either, but even happier with a combo platter ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 11:44:46 AM »
You did great. You really fill that thing up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 11:53:28 AM »
That smoke ring is neon pink! Nicely done sir. I need to nut up and try a brisket.
Still need a 22” yellow