Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Parchment paper burgers  (Read 4147 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Parchment paper burgers
« on: June 06, 2016, 02:44:03 PM »
I asked the girl to get me some wax paper to put the burgers on, after seasoning and forming. I used Weber burger seasoning and some thawed leftover pork goo from (I think) a butt I smoked some time ago.

I'm also one of those who likes "smashed" burgers a la Steak 'n Shake and did my last batch on a CI griddle pan.

But with 3 large diameter burgers, the 10" round griddle pan wasn't large enough and the truth is I want to sell it. Never really large or flat enough.

Hold on, that's not wax paper ... it's parchment. I can cook on it!

Full disclosure: burgers have always scared me. I realize it's a basic thing to grill but I never got good at it and avoided it, moving onto more sophisticated stuff. Don't try to understand my brain; you might get hurt. So of course I couldn't participate in the burger cookoff.

The paper immediately got dark. Problem? No.

Nervous, I turned them after only about a minute. Don't try this without parchment paper. No sticking whatsoever.

Getting there, but the color is wrong. Gonna have to sear them.

Ack! Where to toss the paper that's now falling apart??

Quick toast after the sear; coals were always centered.

By the way, there was corn too. Buttered/seasoned and cooked first on the machine. One of the best burgers I've tasted.

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Parchment paper burgers
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 03:08:56 PM »
Man, you're a great writer. Everyone loves your write ups.

Looks good man, and by my calculations you should wrapping up that school course, correct?

Glad to hear from ya, and Steak n Shake is my favorite too. Double, pickle n onion only with fries. Don't need a drink. I got a beer already!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 03:35:45 PM by Travis »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Parchment paper burgers
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 03:48:44 PM »
Two weeks left. One course is ready to coast to the end, the other that had use do almost nothing the whole time, now has 2 (or is it 3) more papers due. W.T.F. I was able to actually turn a paper in early (first time), which has enabled me to cook and visit the site.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 04:27:09 PM »
I wrap with paper but never would have thought you could grill on it. Cool.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 02:55:39 AM »
I have to agree with you ATS, burgers are the grill item I am least confident in; seems ironic since I am the 'grillmaster' among friends, family and coworkers.  It doesn't help my wife doesn't eat beef  :-\

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 01:17:09 PM »
An interesting way to cook burgers @addicted-to-smoke.  I've never seen anyone cook them that way.  I will have to give it a try, though. 

You mentioned asking for some wax paper, do you think that there would be different result using parchment paper?

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 02:56:46 PM »
That's different. Bet it was still delicious. That corn looks killer. If your scared about grilling burgers, you could try some sort of s steel or cast iron to cook the burgers. Or like me, I use my grill grates upside down to cook many things. Works great and you don't have to worry about flare up and with the holes in the grill grates you still get the charcoal grilled flavor. Nice carmelization on the burgers is also a plus.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 08:22:32 PM »
Thanks @Nate; yes I've seen your exploits involving the upside-down grill grates! I may get into that one day. Your cooks are reliably innovative.

My last burger outing was indeed with CI. Turned out OK but these were better tasting, better texture. Dunno why. More liquid but squished into thinner patties? I may eventually find myself with a steel griddle or seasoned steel pan and a Steak 'N Shake hat. Stranger things have happened.

Setup the other week was very similar. I didn't publish it as its own thread but her it is ... Burgers were thicker, not seasoned the same. This is a Lodge fajita pan:

Nice color/crust at the flip

Hulk SMASH!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 08:33:19 PM »
An interesting way to cook burgers @addicted-to-smoke.  I've never seen anyone cook them that way.  I will have to give it a try, though. 

You mentioned asking for some wax paper, do you think that there would be different result using parchment paper? ...

I'd not want to try that. Wax paper will either melt/burn or otherwise disappear, especially when placed over two charcoal baskets of heat, as I did! Parchment paper is different.

Keep in mind BD, this was technically a mistake, but the heat resistance of parchment is higher, so I tried it. People regularly BAKE stuff on it. Treat it like wood planks? Cook, but then toss.

I'm a cheapskate. I prep a lot of stuff on aluminum foil unless it's stuff like this I don't want to stick while moving around. Wax paper isn't cheap either but I think it's cheaper than this? I would't normally use parchment unless actually cooking on it, also.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 04:14:27 AM »
Good lookin burgers man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk