Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My first performer  (Read 5367 times)

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
Re: My first performer
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2016, 03:50:44 PM »
Work in progress.

In this photo, you can see the green AH OTG main cooker, the converted black speckled EZ with new bling (ash pan and thermo), the lazy K redhead receiving some love in the background and the sacrificial faded black M(lid vent wheel)/N(the one remaining bowl vent wheel) that's reluctantly agreed to become a leg donor for the redhead.

By the way, what's up with this three-wire triangle? Was that an option on less expensive models?

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2016, 03:56:40 PM »
Looks like a cool build man. Wish I had some wisdom to offer, but I'm not experienced enough to comment here. Looking forward to seeing it bud!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2016, 05:16:13 PM »
Great project. Looking forward to seeing what you are going to do with the performer bowl.

That triangle is from an economy kettle. I'm no expert, but I think they came with the three wire triangle, daisy wheel bowl vents, and wheels without the white walls.

Wanted: Burgundy 18"

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2016, 05:39:06 PM »
Yeah, that makes sense. It's an M/N code so 1990/91 era without the one-touch system.

How common is it for the lid and bowl vents to have different date codes?

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2016, 06:11:18 AM »
My OTS has a triangle like that.

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2016, 12:42:03 PM »
Well, how disappointing. You simply can't trust Weber at all.

Friday is NOT 7-10 business days from Wednesday.

Clearly, I haven't had time to do any real work on the performer frame.

And, even more disappointing, we already have plans to visit in-laws this weekend.

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2016, 01:06:05 PM »
Next question: Why the white tube caps on the bowl end when the other end is black? Are the white a higher-heat material?

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2016, 06:07:15 AM »
That copper looks good sitting in there.

Do those caps feel different? One harder than the other? I wonder if that's a goof or something.

Are you still planning the wooden shelf across the bottom?

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2016, 02:32:39 PM »
My SSPs all have the lighter caps on the bowl end and black on the handle end.

My speculation is that the lighter are heat resistant.

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2016, 04:45:05 PM »
Painting day.

Was trying to decide between blasting and powder coating versus painting, then I realized if the paint doesn't work out, I can still go the other route later.

Had one star nut rusted out (and part of one end of one of the bottom cross members), so working on a replacement. Used an angle grinder to remove as much rust as possible, but was left with holes in the bottom of the tube, and still rust left inside. This may need to be replaced at some point in the future.

Star nut was about $3.00 at a local bike shop, and a metric hex head bolt was another $1.50 at the hardware.

Still working out what to do with the bottom shelf. Red oak would probably look nice with the copper bowl. I'll live with the wire rack for now.

The extra holes in the red kettle have been sealed with stainless washers and screws/bolts. The largest fender washer at Ace hardware just barely covered the holes that had been created for the gas tube and igniter., but I think it will seal up. That's about $10 worth of hardware, and have added a new cleaning system kit.

Waiting on axle hubs to be able to put things back together.

That's electric fence wire being used to string parts up for painting.

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2016, 04:49:41 PM »
Question: Sanding stainless steel? The table has a bunch of scratches - is sanding them worth the effort, or will it lead to other problems? Anyone have experience with this?

RadRacer

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2016, 05:08:53 AM »
Oh, wow. At first, I didn't think too much about this. I've seen some performers, and, while they're very nice, they're aren't something I need at the point. But then I saw that copper in there.... I need one ASAP! The copper with the black frame looks amazing.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2016, 12:25:41 PM »
Phase 1 complete.

The Lazy K Red Kettle is standing on her own again. Total investment (not counting the original $40 for the performer table and kettle from Craigslist) is $15 for the one-touch cleaning system and about $15 in additional hardware (SS bolts, screws, washers and nuts to fill the bowl holes, axle caps). The triangle and ash pan/ring were in pretty bad shape so painting seemed like the best option. In hindsight, I should have gone with red on the legs as well.

Thinking about trading it to my neighbor for a P-code redhead that needs some TLC.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2016, 02:57:29 PM »
Hey, good job man! Looks good. I like the black n red thyme it's got going on.

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2016, 05:55:59 PM »
Hey, good job man! Looks good. I like the black n red thyme it's got going on.

Purists probably have a heart attack when seeing something like this, but the bowl had already had six holes drilled into it. The lid had another. The legs, wheels and triangle are from a donor M grill that was a rust bucket and soon to be flower pot.

As they say, "No quality grills were harmed during the filming of this documentary."

I am liking the copper SSP, though, it's coming along nicely. Waiting for the lid bale (tuck-away) which I neglected to order with the bowl and lid. Also need to find a new igniter, since the new style burner tube/wires don't fit the older igniter.

I also learned today that I can't paint my 5-lb propane tank black or copper. Must be white, gray or silver according to my propane dealer, else it can't be refilled. And the 5-lb tanks are also in demand for deer hunters to take to their stands since they're so light.