Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My first performer  (Read 5368 times)

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
My first performer
« on: May 31, 2016, 12:26:03 PM »
From the craigslist ad mentioned here:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fweberkettleclub%2Ecom%2Fforums%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D23958&share_tid=23958&share_fid=63141&share_type=t

Unloaded from truck:

This a K-code bowl and lid (not the original bowl/lid that came with the frame, obviously) that have been modified to work with the gas-assist. I haven't cleaned either yet, but there is definitely some rust and dings. Plus a therm mod in the lid. My plan is to replace both with a new copper bowl/lid so it didn't concern me. Will likely have these available for sale later if anyone needs them.

The gas tube is shot, the ash pan handle is shot, the casters are shot. Everything else is in decent to good shape.

More to come.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 07:32:50 PM by haeffb »

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
Re: My first performer
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 04:01:17 PM »
Lid and bowl cleaned up pretty well. It's a shame the lid has a therm hole and the bowl has been drilled as well. Otherwise, they look pretty nice.

Maybe I'll add some legs and turn this back into a cooker.

Turns out you can just shove the new style ash catcher ring tabs into the sockets on a performer...I did not know that.

And this tool with a carbide blade makes short work of the rusted sweeper system.

SteveZ

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 05:57:06 PM »
@haeffb I'm glad someone here got this. I was next in line. What are you going to put in for a kettle?
SSP Caribique, Black 2nd Generation Performer, 2018 Green Performer, 1970 MBH 26 Black (Fleetwood) with Roti, 1965 Thumb Screw 49er, (2) Black 18 OTG, 2017 Black Master Touch, Black Genesis Silver B.  E code 14 WSM, AH code 18 WSM, AH code 22 WSM,

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 06:01:46 PM »
@haeffb I'm glad someone here got this. I was next in line. What are you going to put in for a kettle?

Current plan is to get a new copper bowl and kettle from Weber. My lovely wife likes the copper look and I like the Gen1 performer frame/table.

I am thinking of a combination of "Bisbee" and the wood table on the bottom frame from some other mods shown recently, but not sure where it will end up.

SteveZ

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 06:06:36 PM »
Are you keeping the 5lb tank or converting to new style?
SSP Caribique, Black 2nd Generation Performer, 2018 Green Performer, 1970 MBH 26 Black (Fleetwood) with Roti, 1965 Thumb Screw 49er, (2) Black 18 OTG, 2017 Black Master Touch, Black Genesis Silver B.  E code 14 WSM, AH code 18 WSM, AH code 22 WSM,

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 06:11:38 PM »
Are you keeping the 5lb tank or converting to new style?

Haven't gotten that far yet. The 5lb tank has OPD, so it depends on if I can get it filled locally...?

SteveZ

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 06:13:34 PM »
I've had a 5lb tank recertified and filled in St. Peters

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 06:21:06 PM »
That's down the road - need to get some other pieces going first. I am thinking of some local craftsmen/manufacturers that might be able to help with some work.

Is it worth having the frame sand blasted/powder coated? I have a sheet metal friend that might be able to replace the stainless with copper. A furniture maker to do the wood work. Etc. I can supply elbow grease, but I'm no expert.

Gotta get some price estimates to see what's what. My end goal is to have a "new" Performer on an SSP frame for less cost than an actual new Performer...but I will definitely have to pick/choose pieces based on cost.

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 11:53:02 AM »
Placed an order with Weber this morning - spent more than I'd hoped! But I think it will be worth it in the end to have a grill that's like (almost) no other. I'll be showing something off in just 7-10 business days. :)

Yendor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 12:16:23 PM »
I'm new to some of the terms used, would that be considered a Lazy "K" code?

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 12:49:25 PM »

Well, if not lazy, it's certainly prone to procrastination.

I mean, "I have no idea." Maybe someone else can answer.

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2016, 01:30:38 PM »
Yes, that's  a Lazy K code, or crooked K code, or rockin K code..however you want to refer to the stamp being not straight

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2016, 05:06:54 PM »
Not much accomplished tonight, but did work a little on the stainless table with some Bar Keepers Friend. See the difference between the larger table which I haven't touched yet and the curved portion that sits next to the grill.

Question: Can I remove the table/lid from the frame without taking the frame apart? It looks maybe like the steel bar holding it in could be pried out?

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2016, 05:00:35 AM »
Yes, the bar can be removed from the assembled frame. Just be careful not to break or lose the plastic grommets that the bar snaps into. If you do need to replace those grommets, I found them at Ace Hardware. 
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2016, 08:04:28 AM »
Interesting find.  A crooked K converted to be a performer.  I think this grill is cool as hell!!!!  One heck of a find!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!