Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Charcoal storage in your Performer  (Read 4770 times)

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
Re: Charcoal storage in your Performer
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2016, 07:02:41 AM »
I throw the bag in the bin (Gen 2) and keep my BBQ gloves in there too.  No moisture issues for me. 
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

cwmfour

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2016, 05:46:40 AM »
I have a DA date SSP.  I dump it in the bin.  Never had any issues with moisture.  I can get more charcoal loose in the bin than in the bag.   Used both lump and briquettes this way.  Have an old tin can as a scoop for lump.  Briquettes I just grab by the handful.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2016, 06:38:49 AM »
I got rid of the bin, moved the propane tank to the position the bin used to be, and put a wire basket in its place.  Always hated that tank hanging down in front of Bisbee, and never used the charcoal bin much.

Winz

In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2016, 11:55:01 AM »
Bag of charcoal in the bin. It doesn't last long enough to draw any moisture.

^^This.. for my gen3 (?) it gets rolled into the garage after cooks/cooling

But I'm going to have to look at this mod @Winz did there (fitting a basket in @ least one of my SSPs)
Also if you reverse the post to hook the propane on the outside & you can fit a basket(s) accross the entire width...

This one has the regulator upgraded & Long hose to place tank away once stationary

I just don't use the bin on the SSPs (they are back/patio use & I'm too close to basement of supplies)
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

mrgoodbar67

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2016, 12:18:06 PM »
I pour the charcoal (brics) directly into the bin on my SSP.   I have a medium sized ice scoop I use for scooping it out.
It works really well.
It's handy to have the charcoal close at hand if needing to add a few brics to a dwindling fire....

I also empty 2 bags of KBB into the bin.  I live in So Cal so no issues with moisture.

I scoop it out with an ice scoop too.  Too easy not do.
-Custon SS 1998 Performer- with mods inspired by Idahawk, Winz, Zavod44 and a bunch of you here.
- Jumbo Joe with smoker mods

Wolf0503

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2016, 12:27:14 PM »
I dump mine bag Directly in the char bin then grab it out with a pair of gloves that I keep in the Char bin keep a lighter in there too since mine died a number a of years ago. 

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2016, 04:06:50 PM »
I used these fire wood brackets to build a small custom rack to keep the charcoal off of the floor in the garage.

http://www.amazon.com/Seymour-Manufacturing-Fireplace-Rack-Bracket/dp/B00002NBRJ

You can cut the wood to fit your space in the garage/shed.