Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pizza dough..  (Read 6676 times)

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Re: Pizza dough..
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2013, 07:24:01 PM »
http://mobile.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/10/new-york-style-pizza.html

The dough also works great for dessert pizza.   Melt butter brush over rolled out dough, add brown sugar and cinnamon and boom dessert is ready in a few minutes!  Sorry no pics it didn't last lol

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

greeny03

• Smokey Joe
Pizza dough..
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2013, 03:16:21 AM »
Sounds great

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2013, 06:55:03 PM »
CS, I want to thank you again for posting this recipe and suggesting tweaks to it.  I tried it again last Friday, and it went even better.  I'm getting the hang of working with the dough, I think.  Can't wait for Friday again!

(Oh, and my daughter and I hit upon a nice flavor pairing:  bacon with apple.  Delicious!)
One of the charcoal people.

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2013, 09:28:37 PM »
This looks amazing...I'm gonna have to give some home made pizza a try soon.
WTB: Genesis Jr.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2013, 08:35:51 PM »
Chasing, this is my third time following the letter of the recipe (for a cold rise tonight, and pizza tomorrow), and every time I am almost to the point where my dough will ball up and ride up above the food processor blade when it suddenly attaches itself to the blade and center hub.  Am I doing something wrong? 

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2013, 09:10:48 PM »
No Mike that's normal for me to.  I usually take it out of the processor and knead by hand a few minutes.   If you can press two fingers into the dough and the indent stays it's ready to rise.   You'll get the hang of knowing when the dough is ready to rise after a few times.   You don't want to push down on the dough when you're kneading it. Rather hold the edge with your left hand then push forward and stretch with your right(or opposite if your left handed)  fold over and rotate 45 degrees and do it again.   This traps air into the dough helping it to rise more.   Believe me I've mixed up a lot of dough this summer and it takes awhile to get the hang of it.   I'm moving into breads a lot lately and I learn something new each time.  I've been checking out a forum called thefreshloaf.Com they are as serious about homemade breads and such as we are about kettles.  Keep at it and you'll be turning out pies better than anything in town for sure!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2013, 06:01:31 PM »
Thanks again, Mike!  This was my third time with the recipe, and it just keeps getting better each time.  This time, I made the dough last night, then stored it in the fridge as per the recipe.  Then a warm rise for a couple hours today.  Seemed to give it a better flavor and texture.

But the real improvement was having my wife help out (she was busy with other stuff the last two weeks).  She's stretched a lot more pizzas than me, and was getting some great results.  Plus she had all the mise and such to make some really tasty pies (Margherita, sausage/roasted red peppers/spinach, mushroom, cheese), and they were so pretty too.  Best of all was having someone to share the prep to minimize downtime on the grill-- I find it pretty easy to get the grill up to 600 or so, but hard to keep it that hot for long enough to bake off four pies, besides the 30 minutes or so to get the stone slowly up to temperature.  It's really fun to face down that challenge, though.

Do you prefer wood or metal peels?  I've got a wood one that is pretty thick, and I'm thinking that metal might be easier to slide the uncooked pie off of. 

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Pizza dough..
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2013, 10:39:42 PM »
Hey Mike thats been my experience as well, it gets better every time!

As for a pizza peel I don't have one yet. I have a metal sheet pan from our toaster oven that has only one side with a lip. It works great to sliding under the pizzas or making the pizza on. I also have a stainless steel pizza pan that my wife bought from pampered chef for me. Lately I've been building the pizza on that pan and taking it to the grill. It's a good pan but I prefer to cook on the fire bricks I have.

This week is my son's birthday party and we are having a pizza/bbq party for him. I'm going to let everyone make their own pizza and cook it on the grills for them. I'm excited to show these Tennessee folks what real pizza tastes like! I think we have about 20 folks coming so I have a bunch if dough to make up.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2013, 06:07:01 PM »
We've been wanting to move toward whole wheat flour for our pizza doughs, and so with the bread flour running low this week I made Chasing_Smoke's recipe with roughly half bread flour and half whole wheat flour.  It didn't rise quite as well, but it did make a flavorful and still crunchy crust.  A definite winner.

Also, my new favorite pizza combination:  roasted red pepper (done right over the chimney as it's heating up for pizza, of course), capers, and arugula. 

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Pizza dough..
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2013, 06:40:12 PM »
Very cool mike! Wonder if it needs more time to rise or a little more yeast. I'm going to dig into a whole wheat recipe and see what the common differences are. Then maybe we can make a good combination for a dough.

That sounds like a great pizza combo too, sweetness from the peppers, salty from the capers and a slight peppery bite from the arugula.