Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pizza dough..  (Read 6679 times)

wolgast

• Smokey Joe
Pizza dough..
« on: March 16, 2013, 07:25:27 AM »
Since i have seen some pizzas in the photo galley...Dont get me wrong they looks good.

But i wanna share my go to:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/03/jim-laheys-no-knead-pizza-dough-recipe.html

Tryed alot of different ones...This one is by FAR the best one!

(recipe and vid in the link)

Try it.

HankB

• WKC Performer
Re: Pizza dough..
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 10:45:46 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion. Some day I'll have to give a plain white pizza crust a shot and that looks like one to try.

I've been making whole wheat dough using this recipe http://thehealthyfoodie.com/2011/10/25/close-to-perfection-whole-wheat-pizza-dough/ and it has been coming out pretty good.

I made a couple pizzas a couple nights ago.

I've also been going pretty non-traditional on the toppings. On the left we have ham and broccoli with some avocado slices. On the right, I took some smoked chicken and mixed in some hot sauce, garlic and worcestershire to make a sort of buffalo chicken. I also dressed with some sliced celery, anise bulb and onion. (Probably something else I'm forgetting as well. I tend to use what I can find in the fridge.) Cheese was sharp provolone and that sort of mixed orange and white cheese, whatever that's called.

Ordinarily I fire these in a kettle but this night I did them inside in the oven because it was cold and crappy outside and I wanted to fill the house with good smells instead.
kettles, smokers...

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 08:04:21 PM »
It looks incredible! I strive for a thin, crispy crust that still has a bit of airy chew to it.
that dough looks perfect.... aside from the whole 9 hour thing

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 09:22:22 AM »
Bump to increase interest in the new consolidated recipe section!

Post your pizza cooks experiences in here.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Pizza dough..
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 10:29:32 AM »
I've been using this recipe for a few months now. I've done it two ways using a cold rise overnight and warm rise. I prefer about a 2- 4 hour warm rise, covered on the stove. Make sure to kneed before the rise it makes all the difference in this crust!  I'm now turning out pizza that rivals what I remember as a kid in Pennsylvania. You can fold the crust and all. It's very easy to make too, I also add 1 tablespoon extra of olive oil to the recipe.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/10/new-york-style-pizza.html

If you don't roll it too thin you get a nice airy crust.

I like it thinner like New York style. Here's the best pizza I've had in years

Ham and pineapple

The crust was much thinner on this one and it came out perfect.

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 04:49:33 PM »
I am listening. 

Gotta get my family to kick the Domino's habit.
One of the charcoal people.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 10:55:02 AM »
Oh, it's on for Pizza Night tonight, C_S.  Wish me luck!  (I've got Domino's website open, just in case of disaster.)

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Pizza dough..
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 02:11:10 PM »
You got it mike! Have faith, the force is with you!

MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 02:26:56 PM »
Chasing_Smoke, I owe you a beer-- again!  A two-hour warm rise worked really well. 

It's not round, but it is tasty.  Sure feels good to keep my pizza money and do it myself... and the kids seem to be gobbling it up just the same. 

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Pizza dough..
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 02:41:28 PM »
No beer needed! That pizza looks great! Once you get the hang of making the dough you can work on the shape and making a crust like the restaurants do. These is the method I use mostly that seems to be ok for me. It gets easier each time!

http://youtu.be/MgppidytPGU

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Pizza dough..
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 02:43:15 PM »
Oh and I brush the outer edge of the crust with olive oil after I put the toppings on. Seems to help with the browning. I use a basting brush to do that.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 03:36:11 PM »
Thanks, Michael.  I'm already looking forward to next Friday. 

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2013, 07:36:04 AM »
Oh man! Now, I gotta do pizza this weekend. Everything looks great, guys.  :D

Thanks for all the links. Will try making PD for the first time.  ???
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 06:33:34 PM »
Okay so I have made the recipe I posted about 25 times this summer.   The whole time I followed the instructions to the word.   Up until last week realised that the recipe calls for instant yeast.   The directions are correct if using that type of yeast.  But I have had dry active yeast the whole time.   With all the baking I've been doing it finally clicked that I made this pizza dough wrong.   

Here is how to adapt the recipe for dry active yeast 

First you need warm water in the temperature range of 105-115f.  Too low and the yeast won't activate,  to hot and it kills the yeast.   I take the 15oz of water in that range,  add the sugar to the water and the yeast in a separate container. The yeast feeds on the sugar so don't forget that part.  Give it a quick stir and let it rest for about 5 minutes.  You should see this

You know the yeast is active and ready to go.   Proceed with the recipe like normal.   I'm getting perfect pizzas now,  in fact the best yet using this method. Also I've found the sweet spot for me is cooking around 550f.  Takes about 5 minutes to cook.   When making the crust I started patting down the dough in the middle to keep it thin.  This is exactly like what I grew up with now.   Great New York style pizza!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 06:37:19 PM by Chasing_smoke »

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 07:00:06 PM »
Smoke can you post the link for the recipe?
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.