Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: using "raw" smoke wood  (Read 1932 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
using "raw" smoke wood
« on: May 24, 2016, 02:50:22 PM »
The farm I'm about to move to (can't believe I just typed those words ...) has an apple tree that lost some branches in a storm last year. I cut them up, as small as the chainsaw would allow, put them into two horse feedbags and brought them back to *cough* civilization *cough* and let them dry in my basement for about a year.

They're dry now. It'll be "a while" before I buy smoke wood ... this (being apple wood) is mild enough that it goes with pretty much any food.

But the bark is still on it ... um, so ...

What I do is toss a chunk on top of the chimney.

While this is heating up, yes, it does smell a little like a campfire!

Here it is, "at the flip" ... I turn my wood several times, heh.

So the bark isn't quite burned off yet, but fer chrissakes if I wait any longer my coals might be half shot.

Dump it, and get rewarded by nice blue smoke. The charcoal basket with the smoke wood will have a little less charcoal. It'll be flaming until the lid gets put on, but the other charcoal basket with only charcoal will actually be hotter -- I think. I don't have a way to test that temp but it should be somewhat balanced.

Any of you have a better suggestion for how to deal with smoke wood that still has bark? Any tips for maintaining 40-50 yr old J-D tractors is always a plus.  ???
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
Re: using "raw" smoke wood
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 02:57:08 PM »
Use your jackknife to whittle it off. That's what I do. Works great.

RumBar

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 03:19:28 PM »
Are you moving to a farm so you have room for more Webers? Congrats on your move and good luck. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 05:53:53 PM »
I've already been told I'd be expected to carry a pocketknife, when living in a rural area. Don't say "jackknife" to a guy who hasn't yet purchased a brake controller box for his pickup, please.

Sorry RumBar, it's not that exciting.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
using "raw" smoke wood
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 07:18:41 PM »
I don't bother trying to get it off, and have never had a "bitter" white smoke either. I know they just throw splits on the big cookers without removing the bark, and that is on oak and other hardwood that have more bark than fruit woods. Hell, maybe I should try though, just to see. You are however, definitely required to carry the pocket knife in your overalls...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 07:42:02 PM by Travis »

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 06:46:40 AM »
I too never bother removing bark, but you can scrape away any odd coloration, growths or dried slugs etc. with that handy pocket blade...

You'll want to get an ax and hatchet too (saves any wood chips you make...)

if you get a Leather Strop for maintaining those edges you can cheat by imbuing it with Polishing Compound (careful =razor sharp)
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

Yendor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 06:52:40 AM »
With apple wood I don't bother taking the bark off or drying it. The natural moisture in that apple wood is fantastic for your que. I prefer green apple wood when making ribs. I just wish I could find it when I need it.

btomlin

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 04:39:17 AM »
What size is the JD??  I have a 44 year old ford 5000 with a loader.  Its too big for my 10 acres, but handy as heck.  You will need a tiller, blade, brushhog....to get started.  :)

PhilPA

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 07:53:16 AM »
Ford 5000 is a great tractor. Perfect size for an all-around work horse.
2009 Q200
2013 Performer with gas starter

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 08:25:16 AM »
i wouldn't bother removing bark unless it looks diseased or moldy.