Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Shipping a JJ  (Read 1631 times)

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
Shipping a JJ
« on: June 06, 2016, 06:40:38 PM »
Hey, y'all, let's be cool and not spoil my Father-in-law's Father's Day surprise by telling him what he's getting. Mkay?  ;-)

For several years, I've been hoping to find an old-school JJ for him, a guy who loves travel, RVing, and hanging out at deer camp.  Got lucky last week about a mile from my house with a person who was selling a 'portable Weber grill' for $20.  Turns out to be a black DA code Jumbo Joe in quite pristine condition.  There is a chip on the edge of the lid, but I'm guessing this thing has been used twice, tops.  Of course I inquired as to why she's selling it, and she said the previous homeowner had left it in the shed!  I didn't even have the heart to offer her less than 20 bucks. 

So a quick cleaning and swapping out the hardware for stainless steel and it should be ready to ship.  My question is, what's the best way to do that?  I know we've had some debates about Home Depot vs. UHaul cardboard boxes, but what is the current wisdom, and how should I package it up?  I've already started stockpiling some extra cardboard for packaging. 

Thanks for your help!
One of the charcoal people.

harris92

• WKC Performer
Re: Shipping a JJ
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 04:45:37 AM »
Uhaul box.

1.  Line all four sides of inside of the  box with insulation board
2.  Wrap grates, bowl and lid in bubble warp.  Hardware can go in a zip lock bag.
3. Order of placement in box (bottom to top)  grates, lid (handle facing up), bowl turned upside down placed on lid
4. stuff any exposed areas with newspaper
5.  The 4th piece of insulation board (mentioned in #1) goes on top before sealing the box.

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 08:37:08 AM »
Only thing I might add is some cardboard strips in between the lid and bowl.  Just to add an extra layer of cushion.  I'll usually put about 6-8, 2" wide strips of cardboard in between and evenly spaced.
Kettle collector AND cooker!

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 08:42:02 AM »
Thanks!

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 11:42:17 AM »
I have started using pipe insulation for the lips of the bowls and lids. Very inexpensive protection.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 12:03:55 PM »
The best tip i've learned, in combination with what Jeff and Harris have mentioned.... is plastic wrap / movers tape.

They sell it uhaul for like 6 bucks. Harbor freight and home depot usually have it too. It's basically saran wrap, but 6 or 8 inches wide.

Put the lid and bowl together (with padding in between) and wrap them together using the plastic. Add more padding around edges, wrap to keep it in place.

most of the damage in shipping happens with things move around. The plastic wrap prevents things from moving around, even when the box gets torn open and tossed around like the worthless parcel UPS assumes it is.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 09:19:40 AM »
Many thanks to all of y'all for sharing your wisdom! 

Just to close up this loop... and in case anyone else wants to ship a old-school Jumbo Joe:  U-Haul has an 'electronics' box that is 20x20x12.  It fits pretty perfectly, with just enough room for extra layers of cardboard on all 6 sides which nets a package that is nice and tight. 

I'm not sure if this box would work as well for a regular 18, since there are more legs as well as wheels and bowl handles, but it's sweet for the JJ. 

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 09:40:37 AM »

Cleaned up quite nicely.  Definitely the easiest and quickest cleanup I've done yet.  This must have just had one or two cooks, then been stored in the shed since 2001. 

Man, I love these little flat tops!

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 09:54:09 AM by mike.stavlund »