Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Summit 420 or 470?  (Read 2702 times)

Bonesy

• Happy Cooker
Summit 420 or 470?
« on: May 19, 2016, 09:20:51 AM »
After 14 years my Genesis finally needs to be replaced. Gonna upgrade to a Summit but not sure if I want the 420 or 470. I would be down to spend the extra on the 470 if I had confidence in the sear station and rotisserie lasting 10 years but even the side burner on my old Genesis went after a couple years. Anybody with insight as to how long a life they've gotten out of their sear or rotisserie. Cheers.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 09:23:51 AM by Bonesy »

Bonesy

• Happy Cooker
Re: Summit 420 or 470?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 09:21:50 AM »
Double post

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 09:38:07 AM »
Are those parts not covered by the 10 yr warranty? If so, who cares if they break? Even if you have to shell out $$ for parts in 15 years, you had the use of those features for 15 years, right?

P.S. I'm an enabler. But, you know I'm right! :)
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Bonesy

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 09:55:34 AM »
Only 2 year warranty on accessories I think

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 10:14:46 AM »
Only 2 year warranty on accessories I think

I don't think the sear station and the rotisserie burner are considered to be "accessories".

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 11:21:07 AM »
Bonesy may be right.

http://help.weber.com/warranties/

WEBERŪ SUMMITŪ, GENESISŪ AND SPIRITŪ SERIES   WARRANTIES
Cookbox.................................10 years, no rust through/burn through (2 years on paint excludes fading or discoloration)
Lid Assembly...........................10 years, no rust through/burn through (2 years on paint excludes fading or discoloration)
Stainless steel burner tubes......10 years, no rust through/burn through
Stainless steel cooking grates......5 years, no rust through/burn through
Stainless steel flavorer bars.........5 years, no rust through/burn through
Porcelain-enameled cast iron cooking grates: 5 years, no rust through/burn through

All remaining parts.....................2 years
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 11:54:07 AM »
Bonesy may be right.

http://help.weber.com/warranties/

WEBERŪ SUMMITŪ, GENESISŪ AND SPIRITŪ SERIES   WARRANTIES
Cookbox.................................10 years, no rust through/burn through (2 years on paint excludes fading or discoloration)
Lid Assembly...........................10 years, no rust through/burn through (2 years on paint excludes fading or discoloration)
Stainless steel burner tubes......10 years, no rust through/burn through
Stainless steel cooking grates......5 years, no rust through/burn through
Stainless steel flavorer bars.........5 years, no rust through/burn through
Porcelain-enameled cast iron cooking grates: 5 years, no rust through/burn through

All remaining parts.....................2 years

How is the "sear station" different than stainless steel burner tubes?

Bonesy

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 01:32:32 PM »
Yeah, I interpret that as Weber doesn't have too much confidence in these things either... If anyone has any first hand insight is appreciate it, otherwise I'll have to happily settle for the 420 man (pun intended, ha!)

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 03:04:08 PM »
I'm still thinking that this is incorrect.   Short version is that I don't think Weber has changed their warranty wording to cover every single little thing on the grill. 

Easy thing to do would be to email Weber Support directly and ask them.   If they say 10 year warranty on each, print the email as a PDF and save it to the cloud.  Down the road, if an issue comes up, use their own words as your documentation.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 05:14:44 PM »
Call Weber. Why speculate?

Now I'm also curious how a side burner goes bad. It's an igniter, tubing, flame element ... and not much else?

So the price differential is like $400 between the two models? All of that is rarified air for me (as would an entire gas grill be for $400 ...) so I can't comment on the value except to say, you're pretty serious about a gas grill to buy either one.

I empathize with the decision, I really do. $400 is still $400, especially if parts not covered very long by warranty might not last long. Do keep in mind that your audience here is just as likely to replace the parts on an older gasser more than once over the years, rather than buy a new machine. Speaking of money saved, THAT method will always be less costly than buying a new grill --- which the rest of us DO appreciate by the way!

You pays your money and takes are chances.

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
Summit 420 or 470?
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2016, 06:22:59 PM »
12 year old Genesis gold still going strong. I got the burner tubes replaced under warranty right before the 10 years ran out. I did get new flavorizer bars and  heavy duty SS grates from rcplaner. The side burner still works great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 06:24:31 PM by Bbqmiller »

yws231

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2016, 12:50:10 PM »
Just had my S-470 delivered on May 26. Havent used it yet but looking forward to it. Bought it at the Meat Block in Greenville, WI delivered fully assembled ready to go.

Don't have enough experience with it yet to give advice on it.
Weber 2016 S-470
Weber 1999 Genesis Platinum Series II
Weber 1997 char/gas performer