Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Looking for outdoor kitchen ideas for kettles  (Read 5308 times)

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
Looking for outdoor kitchen ideas for kettles
« on: May 17, 2016, 05:32:43 PM »
I'm slowly designing our next house and I'm working one of the most important parts right now - the outdoor kitchen.  Almost all of the outdoor kitchen images I'm finding online have built-in gassers as the centerpiece.  Instead of a gasser I want several kettles for the cooking centerpiece.  I want to keep them freestanding (not built in) so I can change them out of the collection as needed.  Past the kettles I'm thinking a burner for lighting chimneys, a sink, a fridge and a pass-through window from the main kitchen.  Anyone got any ideas or, better yet, example images you could share?

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Re: Looking for outdoor kitchen ideas for kettles
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 09:54:52 PM »
I'm working on the same thing at my house.. I will post some pics as soon as I figure out how. But I have a 3 burner camp chef stove with a large griddle, I also use it to get my chimney started. I have 2 - 22" webers, 1 - 18" weber, and a stok gasser. I made my own rotisserie ring and did a mod on a 22" lid for making pizzas. I just recently found and started to hook up a stainless steel sink...
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

G19

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 03:52:50 AM »
I would love to see the finished work, or share what you're considering.  We might be moving the end of the summer.

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 06:34:23 AM »
Cool thread! I've always wanted an outdoor kitchen, this thread just might give me some ideas and motivate me to get it done. I would love to see and hear some ideas.
May The Smoke Be With You!

Maxmbob

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 08:47:51 AM »
I like the idea... an all weber outdoor kitchen!
WTB, Westerner, glen blue,

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 05:12:16 PM »
Brainstorming a little this morning - I'm thinking I need a room close by for kettle storage, accessories, wood and charcoal - lots of charcoal.  I'm thinking raised platforms like the ones Five Guys Burgers stacks the bags of potatoes on - I'll be stacking charcoal.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 05:14:01 PM »
I'd love to have a proper wood burning oven in my next outdoor kitchen. No gassers, but kettles and smokers.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 05:25:53 PM »
Al,

I'm having a hard time picturing a passthrough that wouldn't have a countertop or something else in the way you'd have to lean over when in the kitchen. But I'd love to see an example, too.

Perhaps a vestibule of sorts as passageway, with storage.

Think about the reasons you have to go into the kitchen, now. Supplies, sink/water, prep work. How much of that could be done outside, especially for things that come together quickly?

One thing I'd like is an eating area close to the cookers, with some sun shade.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 06:37:27 PM »
ATS,

Almost all of the pass through windows that come up in my searches are right in front of the kitchen sink.  On the outside of the wall there is a 18" or so countertop in addition the to 26" or so around the sink.  I must be using the wrong search criteria because I cannot imaging how reaching over a sink is functional as a pass through.  My thoughts were that a pass through would be convenient for getting things you forgot to bring out or quickly getting the food into the kitchen if there is additional prep.  I would plan to have the kitchen sink somewhere other than in the way.   

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 09:38:21 AM »
I was playing around last night drawing up a storage room behind the outdoor kitchen - this is going to be cool!  Keep in mind this is rough - no lighting, no ceiling, no door and no I do not have that many black kettles.  Link for 360° panorama:  http://www.panopdm.com/viewer.php?application=panorama&id=f0240c3ad41251b6f96acf1f343feaa54f9655bf.  On your computer you can orbit with your mouse, on your smartphone with accelerometer you can move the phone around to see the view, or use Google cardboard goggles for a virtual reality experience!

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 07:42:19 AM »
really diggin the accessories on the wall.
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2016, 11:44:31 AM »
OK, I messed with the storage room a bit more.  For two evenings worth of work I think it looks pretty good.  Link for 360° panorama:  http://www.panopdm.com/viewer.php?application=panorama&id=387352b84f61cfbf5374a2423f1a50032185f523

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2016, 01:01:36 PM »
That's really nice.

Is there room for a performer or ranch in there?

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2016, 02:49:21 PM »
That's really nice.

Is there room for a performer or ranch in there?

As show there is a 36" wide door.  Plenty of room for performers.  What is the width of a ranch?  I could easily change out the door to something wider. 

G19

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2016, 03:40:23 PM »
Dang Al that looks cool.