Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Barkeeper's Friend  (Read 1617 times)

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
Barkeeper's Friend
« on: May 16, 2016, 12:35:16 PM »
I understand that Barkeeper's Friend is a commonly used product for cleaning bowls & lids. Are you all using the powdered version or the liquid?

It's been a while since I've done a restore, but I recall having excellent results with the powdered, and a bad experience with liquid Barkeeper's Friend.  The liquid formula, IIRC, etched the exterior of a black, late production bowl & lid after sitting in the sun for a few minutes before rinsing.

Can anybody else speak to this? Has anybody had experiences, good or bad, with the liquid formula?

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
Re: Barkeeper's Friend
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 12:42:06 PM »
STOP!! 

Please don't use Barkeeper's friend on the lids or bowls.  It will scratch the porcelain!

It is, however, the best thing ever for cleaning stainless steel. Also copper.  Just make sure you go with the 'grain'. 

Also in my experience, the liquid is more abrasive than the powder.  I realize this is counterintuitive, but I've found it to be true.
One of the charcoal people.

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 12:51:32 PM »
I suspect the liquid has an acidic element to it that can damage the porcelain.

If not Barkeeper's for the kettle, then what? Many of us have reported positive results with this product, but perhaps there is something better? I, for one, do not use steel wool on the exterior, though some people do.

edhead35

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 02:16:33 PM »
I believe both the liquid and powder have salicylic acid which is what makes it work so great.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 03:02:25 PM »
I've had ALOT of success with this product when applied to rusty spots on some pricey kettles (i.e. no scratches or fade).  The key for me was only applying to the rusty areas (i.e. don't swab down the whole grill) and follow the directions.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 04:07:17 PM by harris92 »

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 03:17:33 PM »
I've also had good results removing rust stains, especially around leg sockets and where handles join the bowl, and didn't notice any scratching. That being said I'd be really pissed if I did wind up messing up a kettle.

I used the powder and did go all over the bowl and lid, and was liking the results so much I used it on the legs and triangle. Well about 30 minutes later as I was finishing up I started to feel really, I mean really nauseous. 

Barely made it out of the shower, laid down for a bit and then read the directions.

Moral of the story: WEAR GLOVES!!!

Your body will absorb the acid though your skin...believe me it sucks.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 04:07:52 PM »
Bkf works really well for rust stains on the kettle. Let the chemicals do the work and don't rub excessively or leave it for too long.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 06:19:25 AM »
@harris92 and @pbe gummy bear Are you guys using the liquid or powdered version?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 07:09:02 AM »
Powder but I turn it into a paste BEFORE applying to the kettle
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791