Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Long term Vortex effects  (Read 1459 times)

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
Long term Vortex effects
« on: May 03, 2016, 06:44:44 AM »
I use my vortex a few times a week. I generally choke out the coals after each use. The last few times I just let them burn out. I recently noticed that my lid has started to warp  >:(. The bowl to lid fit is now wobbly and I see lots of smoke sneaking out under the lid during cooks. Has anyone else experienced this? The lid has never been dropped or on the ground. I'll just hug it back into shape. I'm just worried about cracking the porcelain since it's a double coated color.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Long term Vortex effects
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 06:51:38 AM »
Sounds like you might want to rig up an inverted ash pan and somehow suspend it underneath the lid. Kinda like the new "taco" handles but on the other side of the lid, and broader. Maybe attach it to the lid vent with a bracket.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 06:56:44 AM »
I was concerned about that as well and have been using an old cooker. It is a lot of heat.

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 07:47:47 AM »
I was afraid of this too. That is why I use a dedicated $5 black craigslist kettle for my Vortex.

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 08:26:22 AM »
To every action there is a reaction , sorry to hear about your grill . Looks like a dedicated cooker is the way to go with these items that create such high temps for prolonged periods of time. I wonder how the SCG would hold up ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

THUNDERDOME

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 09:17:11 AM »
I have used the same kettle for every Vortex cook and have no adverse effects. No warping. Are you leaving the intake open when you shut down the lid?

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 11:14:19 AM »
I have used the same kettle for every Vortex cook and have no adverse effects. No warping. Are you leaving the intake open when you shut down the lid?

I shut down both vents.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 03:03:38 PM »
I have used the Vortex many times and the only problem is one that I caused myself.
I placed the Vortex into the far left side of my Performer, in an attempt to use a larger area of the grill. It worked well, but my lid rollers melted to the bowl.
😯

I have left the Vortex centered in my grill ever since, and have not had any problems.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC