Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber buys iDevice's iGrill  (Read 3069 times)

Sramsey

• WKC Brave
Weber buys iDevice's iGrill
« on: April 24, 2016, 10:43:38 AM »
Two months ago i read Weber bought iGrill and the plan was to partner up with iDevices in the Spring and release a new app for it.
I  just noticed that they have the info on the Weber site http://product.weber.com/igrill/. Wonder if they will re badge it next.

Now just a rant of mine below.
I owned the iGrill mini when it first came out and i had different results. I think it is because i held out and they came out with a firmware upgrade. Batteries and range were not an issue for me but range was when i first bought it 2 years ago.
I own a Maverick 732 but love my mini if not more, even though it lacks the extra probe. I just picked up the igrill2 for $18 after $65 in Staples rewards that i had. That is how i found out it was on weber.com today.

Own: 14' Black Performer Silver , Retiring 06' Black OTG.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Weber buys iDevice's iGrill
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 12:44:44 PM »
The iGrill app is simple yet functional but Bluetooth connectivity from inside the house was a pain for. The accessory for the big port hole in the Summit's bowl is still a big mystery.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 01:39:34 PM »
I just grabbed the last one on clearance at Sams Club for $29.91. It comes with a bonus set of probes.

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 02:03:30 PM »
There will always be a limitation with any device that uses Bluetooth for functionality.  BT has an optimal range of 30 feet.  That means 30 feet with clear unobstructed connection.  Real world typically means closer to 20 feet in many cases.  If you buy any probe device expecting it to have a long range to allow you to go back in the house, don't buy anything that relies on BT.

Most BBQ product makers are starting to adjust to the cloud world, though.  I've seen a lot of new apps and products that rely on WiFi connection between the probes and the app on a mobile device.  The advantage here is there is no direct connection to your mobile device, like with BT tech.  The probes communicate back to the cloud via WiFi and the app gathers its data from the cloud.

Hopefully whatever Weber comes up with in the near future will also take advantage of this.
Q2000; 26er; P Code MT; 22 WSM

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 02:44:28 PM »
Still a fan of a closed radio network like the older Mavericks we're familiar with. You get a football field's length with no config. "It just works." Love my iPhone but don't need it to watch my grill. Wouldn't mind if it did, but WiFi is also (in practice) too limiting. *Most people* likely have spotty WiFi just outside of their house. Kudos to anyone whose wireless LAN is great outside.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 08:27:22 AM »
There will always be a limitation with any device that uses Bluetooth for functionality.  BT has an optimal range of 30 feet.  That means 30 feet with clear unobstructed connection.  Real world typically means closer to 20 feet in many cases.  If you buy any probe device expecting it to have a long range to allow you to go back in the house, don't buy anything that relies on BT.

Most BBQ product makers are starting to adjust to the cloud world, though.  I've seen a lot of new apps and products that rely on WiFi connection between the probes and the app on a mobile device.  The advantage here is there is no direct connection to your mobile device, like with BT tech.  The probes communicate back to the cloud via WiFi and the app gathers its data from the cloud.

Hopefully whatever Weber comes up with in the near future will also take advantage of this.

Now this is what I am talking about!  I'd love to use an app that lets me graph all of my cooks without having to worry about staying in range.  The cloud is definitely the way to go for this!!!  It is kind of surprising these thermos don't have better technology already.  Hell, my running app has utilitized the cloud for like 5 years.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 01:15:52 PM »
There's plenty of these wifi data logger type apps out there but we don't discuss them that much on the WKC. Some will even tweet you the temperature lol.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 07:53:46 PM »
I have an iGrill2 and want to like it, but don't. I've got 6 or 7 probes and they all report different temps. Also, the thing disconnects and does not reconnect without bouncing the iGrill2.

I have an iGrill Mini that I use with my Rotisserie and it actually works well.

I'd love to see a wiri or even hardwired version over Bluetooth.

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 10:34:11 PM »
I love my iGrill2 and have had zero issues with it (though I did kill the rubberized magnetic mount a couple weeks ago when I left it on the 14 WSM during a cook.
I'M A RECOVERING WEBER ADDICT
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

order66

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 06:49:57 PM »
I have no range issues with my iGrill Mini whatsoever. In fact it just may be the best performing BT device i have ever used (range wise)
I also use a Thermoworks Dot. I switch probes between the Mini and the Dot when I want a mobile view of either grate or food temp.
-JDP
| 22.5 Master Touch |22.5 OTG |Pit Barrel Cooker| U-Lime SJS | Kettle Pizza| Akorn Jr. | Big Green Egg | Jumbo Joe | Blackstone Griddle | Pit Boss Classic |