Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SS Cooking Grate for the 22"  (Read 8242 times)

johnny 2 shack

• WKC Ranger
Re: SS Cooking Grate for the 22"
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2017, 02:57:00 PM »
i have the menards one , going on three years i think , no rust yet but holy shit very thin guage and one of the welds on a handle broke . did i say no rust ? grill is outside all year with a cover . u get what u pay for .

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2017, 03:28:42 PM »
Im about to break in my weber oem ss grates.

Ill measure the gauge related to the standard nickel plated model..i have both NIB..

Measure and update tomorrow.

I am not a big fan of thicker gauge grates than around the std nickel plated version.

Reason being..my goal is for a full brown body sear...not grill marks which to me is burnt meat.

The briwn sear is achieved through direct heat contact with the coals...not via conduction through the grates.

Im not a fan of the gourmet grates...way to thick and the grate itself is extremely heavy
Grills

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2017, 04:10:50 PM »
Just measured.

Weber oem ss cook grates 22.5" 4.18mm
Weber nickel plated cook grates 22.5" 4.29mm

Measured with digital cailber
Grills

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2017, 08:21:23 PM »
ok so I'm not very keen on metallurgy is the pros of a as grate just longevity?
in theory if you had a plated grate in your kettle covered and cleaned regularly would it still develop rust way sooner then the SS option?

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2017, 02:39:05 AM »
in theory if you had a plated grate in your kettle covered and cleaned regularly would it still develop rust way sooner then the SS option?

Yes..longevity is the ss value...and as your post mentions..time to care for non ss grates is not needed...how you value your time and energy is up to you.
Think about hiw many time you grill and need to clean your grates ..multilly that times the longevity of weber oem ss grates and its a personal decision on whether the cost diff is of value to you.
If you care to dive deeper...
If you like grate marks on your food...steel allegedly conducts heat better so nickel plated steel grates are better for grate marks but......most whom manage to keep their steel grates lasting past std rust stage of 2-3 years ..will season their grates with black coating.that black coating is really layers of old food residue and carbon..its up to you if you are comfortable with cooking your good on "seasoned steel grates".
This seasoning is slowing down the rust cycle..not 100% preventing it..
Diving deeper into the seasoned steel grates...the seasoning buildup..removes the value of steel grates offering better grill marks bc the seasoning diminishes the heat conductivity of the steel grates

The otherside of the steel grates is that if you thoroughly clean then after each use...ie..sponge and soap water back to squeky clean condition...they will probably not last a year given that this tyoe of cleaning cycle will wear accelerate the wearing of nickel... a OP on webers website complained of such and posted that their steel grates started rusting within several months

Nickel plating is allegedly harmful...the nickel is wearing off during cook usage...probably some in the food and during cleaning and rusting cycles.

Btw...the weber oem grates are non magnetic .i tested at various test spots on the cook bars..handles and outer ring of the cook grates...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 02:41:39 AM by toolhead »
Grills

butkusrules

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2017, 02:46:16 PM »

Yes..longevity is the ss value...and as your post mentions..time to care for non ss grates is not needed...how you value your time and energy is up to you.
Think about hiw many time you grill and need to clean your grates ..multilly that times the longevity of weber oem ss grates and its a personal decision on whether the cost diff is of value to you.
If you like grate marks on your food...steel allegedly conducts heat better so nickel plated steel grates are better for grate marks but......most whom manage to keep their steel grates lasting past std rust stage of 2-3 years ..will season their grates with black coating.that black coating is really layers of old food residue and carbon..its up to you if you are comfortable with cooking your good on "seasoned steel grates".
Diving deeper into the seasoned steel grates...the seasoning buildup..removes the value of steel grates offering better grill marks bc the seasoning diminishes the heat conductivity of the steel grates

The otherside of the steel grates is that if you thoroughly clean then after each use...ie..sponge and soap water back to squeky clean condition...they will probably not last a year given that this tyoe of cleaning cycle will wear accelerate the wearing of nickel... a OP on webers website complained of such and posted that their steel grates started rusting within several months

Nickel plating is allegedly harmful...the nickel is wearing off during cook usage...probably some in the food and during cleaning and rusting cycles.

Btw...the weber oem grates are non magnetic .i tested at various test spots on the cook bars..handles and outer ring of the cook grates...

This one seems heavy duty. Anyone buy one of these? $75 steep price.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/466629586/215-round-flip-up-bbq-stainless-grill?ref=related-1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2017, 02:48:11 PM »

This one seems heavy duty. Anyone buy one of these? $75 steep price.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/466629586/215-round-flip-up-bbq-stainless-grill?ref=related-1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yea some of the guys have it. it's hefty

Cellar2ful

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2017, 03:13:27 PM »

@butkusrules -  I have the Killa Grilla SS grate and love it.  No regrets on the purchase. Here is my review on them:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/product-reviews/killagrilla-heavy-duty-flip-up-grates-(304-ss)/msg269510/#msg269510

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2017, 04:42:42 PM »
So id be fairly certain that the killagrilla grates are all ss steel..but ba e you performed a magnetic test on all sections of the grates..handles..outer rim znd grate bars?
Grills

Cellar2ful

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2017, 06:47:34 AM »

@toolhead- Could not do a magnet test last night as the grill was still hot from use. Performed a magnet test this morning and the grate passed. No adherence anywhere.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2017, 07:24:41 AM »
Thats what i figured at that price point...but always helpful to have a member post test results back..
Ty
Grills

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2017, 07:27:14 AM »
Sounds like you are getting a lot of mileage from the grates...firing up the kettle midweek is admirable...

Grills