Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SS Cooking Grate for the 22"  (Read 8243 times)

TheDude

• WKC Performer
Re: SS Cooking Grate for the 22"
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2016, 01:25:42 PM »
That is a great price but Menards won't ship it to me. Amazon will for $5 more, http://www.amazon.com/Grill-Care-17436-Stainless-Compatible/dp/B00TEBBAPU

Gotta love Prime.
Still need a 22” yellow

70monte

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2016, 05:56:25 PM »
I have two of them that I've had for a few years now with no signs of rust.  I only paid about $25 each for mine though.  They sure went up in price.  They used to be listed on their website but I don't see them there anymore.

Wayne

soobaerodude

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2016, 11:42:20 PM »
That is a great price but Menards won't ship it to me. Amazon will for $5 more, http://www.amazon.com/Grill-Care-17436-Stainless-Compatible/dp/B00TEBBAPU

Some of the reviews say the Grill Care grates are magnetic, so they are either plated or use a lower-grade stainless steel

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2016, 12:39:22 PM »
So I bought a gourmet grate from eBay , when I recived them
I was blown away how heavy duty the ss is , and compared to
The OEM ones there is a major improvement.
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2016, 03:01:09 PM »
So the Weber SS is thicker than the standard, like the Gourmet grate is?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

mwmac

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2016, 08:31:21 PM »
I have two of them that I've had for a few years now with no signs of rust.  I only paid about $25 each for mine though.  They sure went up in price.

Same experience, had for more than 5 years and no rust.
22.5 WSM AH; RedSSP EE; Redhead EE; 26"C; 26" DE; WGA;Black MBH B; Outrider N.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2016, 09:57:37 PM »

So I received my new hinged SS grate from Weber today.  It is the same size/thickness of the standard hinged plated grate.  You can definitely tell it is stainless steel though by the color (aluminum like) and dull sheen.  The gourmet grates are definitely made of a heavier, thicker gauge metal but plated and shiny.   I will try and take a picture of the SS grate and post it tomorrow.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Cellar2ful

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2016, 10:48:52 AM »

This is the new hinged SS Weber grate ordered direct from Weber.  It does not have the chrome like finish that the standard plated hinged grates have. 

This is the new SS grate next to my 17 year old standard grate. As you can see, they are constructed of the same gauge metal.  The old grate has held up relatively well except for the hinged areas.  I cook mostly indirect and these areas are usually positioned directly over the briquette baskets.  The hinged areas are now extremely rusted and I do not let any food come in contact with the areas. Only time will tell if SS holds up better. 

I also have one of the new gourmet system grates coming and will post a comparative photo when it arrives. I have seen one and they are constructed of a heavier gauge. I assume it is because additional strength is required due to the center being cut out.

Hofy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2016, 07:38:02 PM »
I have 2 of the SS grates from Weber.  They have held up very well with no rust.  I bought the first one in 2010 and a second one in 2011 or 2012.  The first one was $24 and the second $30.  I am glad I got them when I did after seeing todays price!
EE Kettle, 1974 JBK-360 Key Lime "The Fairway" , DR Genesis Gold

charred

• WKC Performer
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

Cellar2ful

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2016, 12:34:09 PM »

Received the  Weber Gourmet grate today. Here are comparative pictures with the SS grate from Weber I promised. The pictures really don't show it but the Gourmet grate is definitely made of a thicker gauge metal. The Gourmet grate is also plated, not SS.  The first picture really shows the difference in sheen.  The Gourmet grate (top of photo) is really shiny and reflective and the SS grate (lower grate in photo) is dull.

You can see a slight difference in the thickness of the metal in this photo.

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2016, 05:30:53 PM »
I really appreciate all of the response from you guys, thanks!

pcunite

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2017, 09:54:47 AM »
I don't see part # 80728 on weber's website. Is it still available? Also, any recommendations on where to order a nice SS 22" grate?

ffej

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2017, 10:15:59 AM »
I don't see part # 80728 on weber's website. Is it still available? Also, any recommendations on where to order a nice SS 22" grate?

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Hinged-Cooking-Charcoal-Grills/dp/B01M1LEKPX

Or Killa Grilla are really nice and heavy duty http://killagrilla.com/ or https://www.etsy.com/shop/KillaGrilla?ref=l2-shopheader-name

Cellar2ful

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2017, 12:02:50 PM »

You have to call Weber Customer Service (800-466-1071) and ask for SS cooking grates part #80728.  I don't understand why, but there are quite a few items that are not listed on Weber's website.