Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: This weekend's planter projects  (Read 5262 times)

Troy

• Statesman
Re: This weekend's planter projects
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2016, 10:44:36 AM »
This is a nice project but for those of us (me - challenged) need pics of the guts to understand how to build something like this.  Hopefully on the future builds someone can take a few to understand the actual setting up of the planter.

here's how it works

for the layer that keeps the potting mix out of the water, I use one of these
http://amzn.to/1TjQDUs
I don't remember the exact size of the one I bought though.

I also bought a cheap plastic pot that fits perfectly into that ring in the tray.
I cut the bottom off the pot, along with enough material to make the tray fit flush with the kettle's edges.
Drill a few holes in the pot and the tray

make a hole in the side of the kettle at the TOP of the water level (just below the tray)
make a hole in the tray big enough for the watering pipe

cut a whole within that circle on the tray.
set the bottomless pot in the kettle
set the tray on top. Stuff some weedblock material around the edges to make the tray fit better if needed.
Pack the little pot tightly with moist potting mix.
Add water pipe, fill in rest of the kettle with potting mix, keep it moist and packed at the center to make sure the wicking process works.

i've found that it really helps to make the soil into a mound and cover it with the weed block material (or even a trash bag)
This blocks weeds, and helps prevent evaporation of the soil. Plus it makes the soil nice and warm on a sunny day.

I'll probably make another this weekend, I'll try to get specifics and pictures.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2016, 10:46:38 AM »
I was inspired by @pbe gummi bear and his pepper growing efforts.
I still procrastinated, but I finally got SOMETHING planted, and I made another 'self watering' planter.

Don't worry, all grills used were black and crappy.

Strawberries in the jumbo joe

One of us must be blind, but that looks neither black nor crappy.  Unless there is a big m/f hole in the other side I want it!

rich

I spraypainted it.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2016, 10:54:53 AM »
So is this right? Instead of a "wicking basket" (perforated) you used a solid one and cut its bottom out so that reservoir water could soak up and do the capillary function.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2016, 10:57:29 AM »
So is this right? Instead of a "wicking basket" (perforated) you used a solid one and cut its bottom out so that reservoir water could soak up and do the capillary function.

yes. i still drilled holes in it, just not a shit-ton. maybe like 10 or 15 holes (3/8" i think)

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2016, 03:41:00 PM »
I was inspired by @pbe gummi bear and his pepper growing efforts.
I still procrastinated, but I finally got SOMETHING planted, and I made another 'self watering' planter.

Don't worry, all grills used were black and crappy.

Strawberries in the jumbo joe

One of us must be blind, but that looks neither black nor crappy.  Unless there is a big m/f hole in the other side I want it!

rich

I spraypainted it.
I spraypainted kettle bottoms but the paint didn't stand up to the heat.  with luck the strawberries will not be as hard on the paint as the burning charcoal was.     8)
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2016, 06:48:52 AM »
Great project with my two girls , they planted strawberries, jalapeņos and chilies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2016, 06:52:18 AM »

Well, if the big boys can do it, I guess I can too, and I won't feel bad      8)

Dude, relax your chicken.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2016, 07:50:08 AM »

yes. i still drilled holes in it, just not a shit-ton. maybe like 10 or 15 holes (3/8" i think)

Wait, when did you learn to use the drill?  Did you use the right end?  You only drilled a few holes because you broke the bit?
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2016, 08:06:29 AM »

I broke the bit drilling into the kettle, yes.
I do know how to use the drill. I'm not great with it, but I can get by.

Wait, when did you learn to use the drill?  Did you use the right end?  You only drilled a few holes because you broke the bit?

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2016, 08:10:37 AM »
BOO-YA!   Did you take a drill class at Home Depot   ;)

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2016, 08:24:11 AM »
Cool idea.  There is a trashed kettle just a block away from me that will work just fine for that purpose.  Not worth restoring but would make a great planter.  My wife has plants all over the yard.  She thought it was a great idea.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2016, 12:19:18 AM »
BOO-YA!   Did you take a drill class at Home Depot   ;)

No
Do they offer those?
Seriously...

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2016, 12:20:36 AM »
@Idahawk that blue 18" is KINDA breaking my heart. :P

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2016, 03:31:30 AM »
Yea I think so, I never went to one but they have all kinds of classes at home depot for stuff like that.....is that real blue 18?

Sent from a rotary phone

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2016, 04:57:29 AM »

@Idahawk that blue 18" is KINDA breaking my heart. :P

It's a 22" and trust me I would have rehabbed it , if it was worth fixing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs