Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: building the mini WSM: paint question  (Read 2613 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
building the mini WSM: paint question
« on: April 24, 2016, 06:35:04 PM »
So I picked a paint for my tamale steamer and painted it. I also got some clear gloss. Both are for high heat, from VHT.

Now, the directions for both are the same, once you stop painting your coats, what 7 days before adding any additional "layers." And cure at 200 in order to achieve the higher heat resiliency.

So ...

I had to go out of town for a week after painting the steamer pot, so then the gloss went on when I went back. I haven't cured it yet.

But given that VHT also says that just putting an engine together and running it also cures the paint, I'm guessing that if someone also sprayed their block with the gloss they either wouldn't wait the 7 days, or wouldn't spray it with gloss at all because it would already be assembled and in the car. (Or could be.)

Why the heck do I need to wait a week to spray with gloss, with or without curing at 200 beforehand?

If you can follow the bouncing ball of my story here, you know I already waited a week before spraying the gloss. But that was the steamer.

I've also painted the SJ's legs and don't wanna wait a WEEK to spray them with gloss. I can fit it all into my kitchen oven (I think) to cure if necessary. If not I'll make a small charcoal heat pile instead in the SJ base.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Jason

• WKC Ranger
Re: building the mini WSM: paint question
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 04:01:00 AM »
When I painted the tamale pot for my mini, I sprayed several coats, until the can was empty. This was all done over the course of a few hours, in the same day. I remember the directions saying something about 7-days, but said the heck with it. I did not use a clear coat. I think I "cured" the paint by firing up some coals! Aside from a couple tiny chips in the paint, it still looks as good a the day I painted it.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 05:05:28 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing the pics!
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 05:43:18 AM »
Actually I just found my answer, after re-reading the directions on the clear gloss. It says to wait 30 minutes after applying the color coat(s) and then have at it. So the 7 days is only for additional layers of the same thing, color or clear, if you don't get it all done within an hour.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Tommy B

• WKC Brave
    • @tommybrooker
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 10:59:47 AM »

I can't remember exactly how I painted mine but it has with stood the test of time! I painted this one about 2 years ago.
Hotty Toddy!

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 12:38:44 PM »
Yea I used the VHT and sprayed mine all in one sitting and then tossed some charcoal in to cure.  Try not to let it get to hot though in the curing or it causes the color to fade a bit.