Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Clay Plate/Pizza Pan  (Read 2629 times)

mwm1978

• Smokey Joe
Clay Plate/Pizza Pan
« on: April 23, 2016, 02:09:57 AM »
I would like to get a clay plate or clay pizza dish for my 22 1/2 WSM.  Can somebody tell me the best size to get and maybe a place to get either?  I would like it to fit on the water pan holders.

Thank You.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
Re: Clay Plate/Pizza Pan
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 04:54:55 PM »
Welcome to the club from Eugene, Oregon.   I don't have a 22" WSM, but when I started to look for just such a diffuser I just measured the diameter of the water pan then went to local nursery (or Home Despot) and bought the corresponding size.   Wrap it in foil to keep it a touch cleaner.   Let us know how it turns out.                           SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 06:30:43 PM »
I used a clay pot base in my old 18" bullet and it cracked when it was resting in the waterpan grooves.

Then I decided to ditch it in favor of a thrift store pizza pan foiled over and set in the waterpan. At first with red lava stones from and ancient gas grill.

Eventually ditched the rocks and settled on the pizza stone in the pan. I cook Dry - Hot n Fast.

It/they eventually crack over time as well. I sold all my 18" bullets and have two 22" bullets and an 18 & 22" Cajun Bandit Conversion.

I never bothered to look for any pizza stones or pot bases that big to fit the big bullet because the price wasn't worth it. What I did instead was have my welder friend laser cut some 1/8" steel plate discs that I use in place of the waterpan. $15 and will outlast the cookers!

I use the steel discs as heat diverters with a foiled over aluminum catering party tray as a drip pan. Cleanup is a breeze.

Here is one for my 18" Cajun Bandit

pizza pan drip tray which I foil over

You could drag your center section to a garden supply and try to find your size, possibly a ceramic/glass supply might have kiln platesetter, but unless you got deep pockets.....I'd go steel.

Just sayin'
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

mwm1978

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 03:47:06 AM »
Great idea on the steel disk, I will go that route.  Many thanks.